Who are the Sons of Perdition?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Who are the Sons of Perdition?

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:40 am

As I understand it, the concept of Sons of Perdition popped up in Mormonism to create a shunning category for people who betrayed Joseph Smith. Is there any historical record of who any of these individuals are? I'm not talking about the 1/3 host of heaven and Cain, I mean the specific individuals who Joseph would have considered disloyal enough to get the label. The Three Witnesses? William Law? Thomas Marsh? Philastus Hurlbut?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

blazerb

Re: Who are the Sons of Perdition?

Post by blazerb » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:29 am

I wonder how it came about. Section 76 was dictated in 1832 in Ohio. It all hit the fan in Kirtland in 1837. The Salt Sermon was given in 1838. I don't know that the title of son of perdition was applied to the big apostates, like the 3 Witnesses or the Laws or William McLellin because they were all still faithful at the time that the notion of outer darkness was created.

I remember discussing who might be a son of perdition with a seminary teacher. He was unaware of any official declaration that someone was a son of perdition, but he thought that the Laws and other like them were prime candidates. Now, I think those guys were gutsy to stand up to JS and whatever groups he was using at the time to enforce his authority.

Hagoth

Re: Who are the Sons of Perdition?

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:26 am

Maybe it's just an intimidation category. You don't want to be a Son of Perdition do you? Then keep praising The Man. No one knows what exactly it means to deny the Holy Ghost but some people easily interpret it as having a testimony and later concluding that it wasn't a ghost that gave you those feelings.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."