PewResearchCenter - new report

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Post Reply
User avatar
Angel
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 8:26 am

PewResearchCenter - new report

Post by Angel » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:01 pm

The new stats are in.
https://www.pewforum.org/2021/12/14/abo ... ffiliated/
Interesting to see the Catholics holding their own - I need to watch the documentary on their pope.

Mormon figs:
https://www.pewforum.org/religious-land ... on/mormon/
↑ haha, they are still "Mormons".

56%→54%, uh oh, women are leaving the church....
86% 3rd generation or higher
10% post-grad degrees,
only 4% use Science as a source of guidance on right and wrong
62% believe in hell

Just random article, thought I would post for discussions.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

User avatar
jfro18
Posts: 1882
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:41 pm

Re: PewResearchCenter - new report

Post by jfro18 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:00 pm

As a super quick note, the Mormon specific figures are from 2014. I am really hoping they update those post COVID, although it's a small sample size and just one poll so I wouldn't draw *too* much from it.

User avatar
Angel
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 8:26 am

Re: PewResearchCenter - new report

Post by Angel » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:28 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:00 pm
As a super quick note, the Mormon specific figures are from 2014. I am really hoping they update those post COVID, although it's a small sample size and just one poll so I wouldn't draw *too* much from it.
Are the Mormons not sharing their info anymore?

Here is everyone together:
https://www.pewforum.org/religious-land ... tradition/
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 5823
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: PewResearchCenter - new report

Post by Hagoth » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:02 pm

86% absolutely certain of the existence of God
85% pray at least once a day

Yet...

49% feel a sense of wonder about the universe at least once a week
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

User avatar
Angel
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 8:26 am

Re: PewResearchCenter - new report

Post by Angel » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:43 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:02 pm
49% feel a sense of wonder about the universe at least once a week
JW's appear to win for wonder, followed by Buddhists - interesting.

The JW's appear to win on everything:
https://www.pewforum.org/religious-land ... tradition/

Jehovah - at least they got his name right in the name of their church.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

User avatar
nibbler
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:12 pm

Re: PewResearchCenter - new report

Post by nibbler » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:43 am

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:02 pm
86% absolutely certain of the existence of God
85% pray at least once a day

Yet...

49% feel a sense of wonder about the universe at least once a week
Why would you wonder about anything when the only product of your religion is absolute certainty about everything?
We see things not as they are, but as we are ourselves. - H.M. Tomlinson

User avatar
Jeffret
Posts: 929
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 6:49 pm

Re: PewResearchCenter - new report

Post by Jeffret » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:53 am

jfro18 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:00 pm
As a super quick note, the Mormon specific figures are from 2014. I am really hoping they update those post COVID, although it's a small sample size and just one poll so I wouldn't draw *too* much from it.
Mormons are statistically insignificant. There's just not enough of them to get meaningful results without a large survey. And the oddities of their geographic spread complicates.

The best data we have, from multiple different surveys, studies, and reports, show that Mormons have held pretty constant at about 2%. Or maybe it's 1.9%. But, that distinction is less than the margin of error. It's very hard to get any meaningful info about Mormon growth. Maybe Mormonism is in decline, but we're certain it's not growing by leaps and bounds throughout all the earth.

It's easier to create meaningful studies about changes in Mormons, but harder to collect the data in a cross-sectional study.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

User avatar
moksha
Posts: 4149
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 am

Re: PewResearchCenter - new report

Post by moksha » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:45 pm

Some results are to be expected:

Hindus are the most educated religious group
Jews are the richest religious group.
Mormons are the most married religious group
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

User avatar
stealthbishop
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:25 am

Re: PewResearchCenter - new report

Post by stealthbishop » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:51 am

Angel wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:01 pm

62% believe in hell

Huh?! What? I thought we didn't believe in hell. Or at least the Catholic/Protestant version of it. That's sad. Another abandonment of the Mormon tradition towards something that I see as unhealthier and less unique in Christian theology.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

User avatar
blazerb
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:35 pm

Re: PewResearchCenter - new report

Post by blazerb » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:26 am

stealthbishop wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:51 am
Angel wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:01 pm

62% believe in hell

Huh?! What? I thought we didn't believe in hell. Or at least the Catholic/Protestant version of it. That's sad. Another abandonment of the Mormon tradition towards something that I see as unhealthier and less unique in Christian theology.
For some reason, Mormons have a deep desire to be accepted by evangelical Christians, as if that is the standard of public approval. Saying we believe in hell is probably just another acquiescence in that effort.

User avatar
stealthbishop
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:25 am

Re: PewResearchCenter - new report

Post by stealthbishop » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:04 am

blazerb wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:26 am
stealthbishop wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:51 am
Angel wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:01 pm

62% believe in hell

Huh?! What? I thought we didn't believe in hell. Or at least the Catholic/Protestant version of it. That's sad. Another abandonment of the Mormon tradition towards something that I see as unhealthier and less unique in Christian theology.
For some reason, Mormons have a deep desire to be accepted by evangelical Christians, as if that is the standard of public approval. Saying we believe in hell is probably just another acquiescence in that effort.
Yup, that's my guess too blazerb. So DUMB!!! Dumb da dumb da dumb.

Probably one major reason is because both American Evangelicals and LDS share a fundamentalist/literalist view of scripture. Another is, "please don't hurt us LDS people you Evangelicals because you are so powerful and we share a distrust of secular society who is the real enemy".
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests