In the rubble of collapsed apologetics

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Re: In the rubble of collapsed apologetics

Post by moksha » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:40 am

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:29 pm
Gatorbait wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:42 pm
Did they fire Daniel Peterson? Is that old news? I don't check this very often.
Yeah, when FARMS became the Maxwell Institute. And they did it while he was out of the country, I believe by email. He didn't get fired from BYU.
It's like the Church did not want to be associated with guerilla warfare, even though the pre-ouster Maxwell Institute had become very adept at crawling through the mud. Now, instead of maintaining squadrons of soldiers, the Maxwell is full of scholars who are subjected to the constant sound of ungodly musket fire.

The former guerilla fighters have plans for taking back the Maxwell, by showing the Brethren that they are the faithful orthodox defenders, while those scholars are a bunch of anti-Mormon liberals. Their motto is "Mormon Kobra Kai shall crush the School Marms".
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:39 am

moksha wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:40 am
The former guerilla fighters have plans for taking back the Maxwell, by showing the Brethren that they are the faithful orthodox defenders, while those scholars are a bunch of anti-Mormon liberals. Their motto is "Mormon Kobra Kai shall crush the School Marms".
I can't imagine how panicked the former FARMers must have been when the Maxwell Institute proclaimed the goal of establishing themselves as a source of good scholarship, especially when their first offering was an analysis of Maimonides' 12th century discussion on the treatment of hemorrhoids. And they did it without making a single strawman attack on critics of Mormonism.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:44 pm

Apologists remind me of the Russians who banned Dr. Zhivago.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:14 am

moksha wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:44 pm
Apologists remind me of the Russians who banned Dr. Zhivago.
You mean they deliberately turn their back on a national treasure. That does seem like banning the truth.
Exactly. The apologist's slogan when they see the huge asteroid in the sky is to proclaim, "Don't look up!"
Why would they do that?
Hiding the truth has become second nature to them.
Makes sense.
Say, you are an easy interviewer. Stop by later and we can explain why Joseph was a virgin.
Okay.
-- Moksha