A new Book of Mormon geography theory

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

A new Book of Mormon geography theory

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:55 pm

Let's call it the Schrödinger theory.

The BoM happened just as described in the text, and the New York Cumorah is THE Cumorah. But why are there no artifacts? The universe has split just enough times since then that we still have the information but the physical evidence no longer exists in our version of reality. There's another universe right next to ours that has all of the physical artifacts of a great Jewish nation that once existed in the Americas but they left no written text to explain who they were or the details of their history. Also, Cain found a wife in that universe and there is an entire race of giant hairy black people walking around.

Take home assignment: wait thirty years and read this again and see if there isn't some kind of apologetic argument that's not too far off these lines. Thirty years ago you would never have imagined that there would be an official church-published essay defending a catalyst theory of the Book of Abraham, let alone a church-sanctioned apologist presenting an "inspired imagination" theory.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

dogbite

Re: A new Book of Mormon geography theory

Post by dogbite » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:52 pm

In some ways it's worse to say that the BOA is inspired rather than translated. If it's translated, you can say that it was a product of the times and the views of Abraham as he wrote, own hand on papyrus and all that.

But to sat that JS was inspired by God to write the story lays all the bigotry and wrongness at God's feet. Plus the hand on papryus problem, the included heiroglyphics make even less sense....

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:10 pm

dogbite wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:52 pm
But to sat that JS was inspired by God to write the story lays all the bigotry and wrongness at God's feet.
But that also means the leader's hands are tied and they don't have to take any credit for it: ok, so it looks like God is a bigot, but who am I to try to second guess the creator of the universe? I'm sure it will all make sense someday when we're sitting around on a cloud and he can explain it to us.

That's pretty much how they shrug off polygamy in the Gospel Topics essay too. It sure looks like a big ugly mess to us limited humans, but don't worry your pretty little heads about it, God will make everything nice for all of those girls and women in the next life because they submitted obediently to Priesthood in this life.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:07 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:55 pm
Take home assignment: wait thirty years and read this again and see if there isn't some kind of apologetic argument that's not too far off these lines. Thirty years ago you would never have imagined that there would be an official church-published essay defending a catalyst theory of the Book of Abraham, let alone a church-sanctioned apologist presenting an "inspired imagination" theory.
We could be the future saviors of the Church when we formulate fantasy theories, since they may become the defacto excuses someday.

Sort of like JFK Jr. taking the COVID shots as a body double for Trump, since earthly medicine would have rendered Trump's body into alien ooze. See how that will bolster both QAnon and the Church?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha