Sacrificed his son

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

Sacrificed his son

Post by deacon blues » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:15 am

I remember a Sunday School story about a train switchman whose little son ran out on a bridge and the switchman had to decide between saving a trainload of people or his son. It was a metaphor for Heavenly Father sacrificing Jesus.
I've been studying the Mountain Meadows Massacre. The trial and execution of John D. Lee, Brigham Young's adopted son, reminded me of this. Brigham was very likely behind the machinations behind John D. Lee's first trial- hung jury, and second trial- convicted by a jury of all Mormons. It seems that for national & international reputation of the Church to be salvaged, somebody had to be convicted for the MMM. Brigham and/or Church leaders decided to make Lee a scapegoat, and contrived with the lawyers to see that Lee was convicted. I a very real way, John D. Lee was sacrificed for the sins of the Church.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

dogbite

Re: Sacrificed his son

Post by dogbite » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:57 am

I remember the seminary movie of this. Maybe it was a generic Christian film my teacher used, but there was a film.

Looking on Youtube, it's been done a few times at least by various Christian groups.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:25 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:15 am
I a very real way, John D. Lee was sacrificed for the sins of the Church.
Brilliant observation. You know what would have made it a really good story? If an angel had shown up to save him at the last moment.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:33 pm

I wrote about the "bridge and the switchman" problem as it relates to the church on a blog post that can be found here.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:11 pm

dogbite wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:57 am
I remember the seminary movie of this. Maybe it was a generic Christian film my teacher used, but there was a film.
Why does it seem like someone has to die in the vast majority of old seminary "movies?"

I wonder... [chin-scratching-emoji]
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:54 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:11 pm
Why does it seem like someone has to die in the vast majority of old seminary "movies?"
Conspiracy time: Old seminary movies were snuff films for the gratification of the secret inner circle who meet in the pizza restaurant underneath the temple.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:49 pm

You could probably trace the evolution of heartsell through old seminary productions.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:00 pm

I came to the conclusion a while back that the train/child story probably never happened. I figure it was some imaginative person's ( Mormon or non-mormon) crumby dreamed up analogy for Christ's sacrifice.

I disliked it in the extreme.

For one thing the child had no say in whether or not he was being sacrificed. Additionally the people on the train do not go blythely on their way forever.

A more factual analogy would be the Polish Jewish refugee mother hiding with others in an underground sewer whose baby begins to cry as the Nazis who are looking for them walk overhead. Anyone who has read that history knows how that scene ends. It is crushing.

Yes, the infant has no say in his sacrifice but at least those who are present know of the cost of their lives being saved.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

1smartdodog

Sacrificed his son

Post by 1smartdodog » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:33 am

Why do we ascribe to the notion that 10 lives are more valuable than one. If I said the train was full of war criminals is it the same?

These anecdotal stories that make up the church are tiresome and have little to do with real life. Stories that have a goal intended to produce guilt of some kind are manipulative.

Everyone never finishes the story either. The father becomes an alcoholic and commits suicide because he cant live with what he did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Lloyd Christmas

Post by Lloyd Christmas » Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:58 pm

One thing I never understood about the comparison, is that Jesus wasn't really permanently sacrificed. His body died and he suffered for sins, but rose from the dead and was exalted. How is that a sacrifice?

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:51 am

123 separate murders were committed with 123 separate firearms. The Mormon verdict? One person was guilty.

The bright side to the massacre is that only LDS apologists are still pointing their fingers at the Paiute Tribe.

Sometimes scapegoating sacrifice is insufficient, such as when the volcano on Waponi Woo Island refuses a selfless sacrifice and erupts anyway, or the United States Calvary rides in and arrests the lawless Priesthood gang in Cedar City.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:23 am

Lloyd Christmas wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:58 pm
One thing I never understood about the comparison, is that Jesus wasn't really permanently sacrificed. His body died and he suffered for sins, but rose from the dead and was exalted. How is that a sacrifice?
Yeah, I think the story of Jesus's life is inspiring, but the LDS atonement idea just doesn't quite ring true. It's not infinite; It's like sacrificing a weekend for the human race. But maybe I'm wrong.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:11 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:23 am
Lloyd Christmas wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:58 pm
Yeah, I think the story of Jesus's life is inspiring, but the LDS atonement idea just doesn't quite ring true. It's not infinite; It's like sacrificing a weekend for the human race. But maybe I'm wrong.
Yeah, but... It was a 3-day weekend!!!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:05 am

moksha wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:51 am
123 separate murders were committed with 123 separate firearms. The Mormon verdict? One person was guilty.
That's not quite right. Many of the younger ones were clubbed to death. Ammo was more precious than lives.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:08 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:11 pm
Yeah, but... It was a 3-day weekend!!!
And it was a paid weekend. According to the multiple probations theory, Jesus was checking off the next box to move up The Bridge to the next level of Elohimness.

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:57 am

The ransom or judicial conceptualization of the atonement comes from both the Gospel of Mark and the theology of Paul in his authentic epistles. It's a common view of the atonement of JC from the earliest of times in the Jesus movement. However, there were and are other views of the atonement. The Gospel of Luke interestingly does not share Mark and Paul's view of the atonement! The LDS Church is one of many Christian churches/traditions that adopted the ransom/judicial perspective on the atonement. Although it is probably the most common/dominant view for many Christians (especially in the USA), it is also a harsh view that doesn't fit well in a modern society.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:59 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:05 am
That's not quite right. Many of the younger ones were clubbed to death. Ammo was more precious than lives.
Ammo conservation by clubbing the children to death proves it is all true.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha