Brad Wilcox

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

Brad Wilcox

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:09 pm

Anyone following the news on Brad?

He is getting his a$$ handed to him.

I looked closely at what he said the first time around, and it has a "us and them" implication that is pretty clear to me. I think he is trying to pay homage to the FACT that early leaders in the church said it was GOD who put the ban into place, but now such things are "disavowed"...whatever that means.

Anyway,...it seems like Bradly is in some hot water.

Thoughts?

wtfluff

Re: Brad Wilcox

Post by wtfluff » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:50 pm

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:17 pm

The racism was horrible. It wasn't the only bad parts of the fireside.

Mysogyny
Condescension
Other religions are just "Playing at church"
Calling students who he taught stupid.
It was all there. The whole thing was cringeworthy.

The racism should be addressed. The other hateful rhetoric shouldn't be ignored.

-lost

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:56 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:50 pm
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6088&start=20
Oh...thanks man. I did a small look and didn't see that this thread was already here.

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:06 pm

This particular PR flub for the church has been very difficult for me. The racist stuff was obviously bad, but the many ways he threatened the youth with what they will lose if they leave is hitting all kinds of sensors in my Mormon-damaged-brain. This was actually evil. His take on the One True Church is core doctrine, 100% foundational Mormon stuff - but he did it with such harshness and without any empathy, he's simply cruel.

For those of us who have found themselves needing loads of therapy, with damaged relationships and lost purpose, this ranting, desperate screed was actually cruel. You're right Brad, you lose a lot when you realize your entire life was built upon a fraud. You're right I will lose relationships, the respect/love of people I hold dear and have to face the awful stuff I myself did on behalf of the church. Yes, it is incredibly difficult and painful. But it never had to be that hard. It is that hard because of the system that you are selling to us. Stop it. Stop hurting people. Try to follow the example of Jesus, who was the example of love. Don't follow the examples of Dallin, Russ and Jeff who use lies, harshness and punishment to control people.

I'll end my rant but this talk was far, far worse than the very stupid race comments. It was a threat, and he knew exactly what he was doing.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:13 am

Rob4Hope wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:09 pm
...but now such things are "disavowed"...whatever that means.
They leave it up to your personal level of bigotry to sort it out. Some things said by some church leaders are disavowed. Of course, they won't specify which leaders and which things. Like when they expect us to go easy on prophets because they are imperfect, but they fall silent on the who and what.
Yobispo wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:06 pm
The racist stuff was obviously bad, but the many ways he threatened the youth with what they will lose if they leave is hitting all kinds of sensors in my Mormon-damaged-brain. This was actually evil.
When your message isn't inspiring you resort to fearmongering.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

AdmiralHoldo

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:35 am

This talk is aimed at the youth. He has NO CLUE what the youth of today actually need to hear. "Women don't hold the priesthood because they don't need to" or "there's no way Brigham Young was a racist jerk" or "our religion is better than all the other religions because I say it is" is just NOT GONNA CUT IT with the teens and young adults that are fleeing religion in droves.

I have a lot of other thoughts, but let's leave it at that!