God’s Intervention

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Linked

Re: God’s Intervention

Post by Linked » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:03 pm

hallew wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:08 am
Last fall I had a life and death experience.

While waiting in a drive-thru with my children we were suddenly rear ended by an elderly lady. I pulled over, parked in a spot, and got out of my vehicle to check on the situation (I thought the lady may be having a stroke or some other medical emergency). The lady floors her minivan which is pointed in my direction. I have this split-second thought that if I don’t get out of the way I am either going to die or I am not going to get up. I literally turn to dive out of the way while she rear-ends my car again, hits the transformer box which is in the grass next to my car, the transformer catches on fire, her front passenger side brushes my hip while I am in mid-air leap, and then she goes down the embankment hill into another parking lot. My poor children and the store manager thought that I was run over.

This whole situation was crazy. It still feels surreal—like something out of a movie.

I did not feel any angels or some divinity saving me. I did not feel this was God punishing me for no longer believing in LDS doctrine or the church.

My whole life did not flash before my eyes. Neither did regrets or anything else—just the instinct of get out of the way, if I want to live.

I am grateful I was the only person physically injured with a bruised hip and bleeding finger. I am grateful my head and neck landed in the grass and the remainder of my body on the curb/pavement. I am grateful that it was the girls’ gymnastics day and I dressed to stay warm since I get cold easy in the gym. I was wearing pants, a sweater, and flats. If I had been wearing a dress/skirt and short sleeved shirt I would have road burn all along the left side of my body. If I had been wearing heels/wedges I might have not been able to move as fast to get out of the way. I am also grateful that my children were wearing their seatbelts in the drive-thru and when I parked.

It is miraculous that I walked away mostly unscathed and that no one else was injured. Maybe divinity played a role. Maybe it didn’t. Either way, I am still grateful for the outcome.
Holy crap Hallew! That's nuts! Was the elderly lady targeting you or just lost control of her car twice?

I'm glad you made it out ok, whether divinity was part of it or not.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

hallew

Post by hallew » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:04 pm

She told the sheriff that her brakes went out. Which is obviously not what happened. I thought she may have gotten confused and accidentally hit the gas instead of the brakes. However, when we got footage from the fast food restaurant's cameras it almost looked like it was intentional. It appears in the video that she accidentally pulled away from the window before getting her milkshake and I pulled forward. She started backing up, but I didn't move since I try not to do that in drive-thrus. She did a u turn to pull behind me to get back in the drive-thru. She's waving her hands and looks like she maybe flicks me off. After sitting at an angle behind me she floors it into the back of my car. Then she floors it again at me when I'm out of the car. My husband is convinced that she was intentionally trying to run me over --- over a milkshake!

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:29 pm

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
And they're like, it's better than yours
Damn right it's better than yours
I can teach you, but I have to charge
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Linked

Post by Linked » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:50 pm

hallew wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:04 pm
She told the sheriff that her brakes went out. Which is obviously not what happened. I thought she may have gotten confused and accidentally hit the gas instead of the brakes. However, when we got footage from the fast food restaurant's cameras it almost looked like it was intentional. It appears in the video that she accidentally pulled away from the window before getting her milkshake and I pulled forward. She started backing up, but I didn't move since I try not to do that in drive-thrus. She did a u turn to pull behind me to get back in the drive-thru. She's waving her hands and looks like she maybe flicks me off. After sitting at an angle behind me she floors it into the back of my car. Then she floors it again at me when I'm out of the car. My husband is convinced that she was intentionally trying to run me over --- over a milkshake!
Wow, that is terrible! People can get really crazy in their cars. I'm glad you made it out safe.

Someone hit our garbage cans the other day. I was ready to chalk it up to just not paying attention, but then I watched our security camera video and they were slowing down to get in the right position, then sped up into the cans without slowing after hitting them. Someone getting their kicks I guess. Lame.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:24 pm

hallew wrote:
Sounds like she was trying to hit you. Any further developments in the case?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

hallew

Post by hallew » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:41 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:29 pm
It was grannies in this case :lol:

hallew

Post by hallew » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:44 am

Linked wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:50 pm
hallew wrote:
Wow, that is terrible! People can get really crazy in their cars. I'm glad you made it out safe.

Someone hit our garbage cans the other day. I was ready to chalk it up to just not paying attention, but then I watched our security camera video and they were slowing down to get in the right position, then sped up into the cans without slowing after hitting them. Someone getting their kicks I guess. Lame.
People are legit crazy or jerks or crazy jerks. We have a shared wooden post that holds three mailboxes. One of the mailboxes was ripped off the post and set back in place. Someone obviously did it on purpose. Why? I have no idea.

hallew

Post by hallew » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:57 am

moksha wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:24 pm
hallew wrote:
Sounds like she was trying to hit you. Any further developments in the case?
Well, we got the appraised value for my car (my insurance paid it out and was going to go after her insurance for reimbursement). Her insurance was onboard for paying the value of my car until they found out that the fast food place and city could also be seeking compensation. The fast food company lost wages for their power being out for almost 2 days and the city may go after her for having to replace all of the copper wiring in the transformer. I was then told I would get a prorated amount since her policy only had $10K in coverage and all three parties would be compensated. They also would no longer provide a rental car as they originally stated. Luckily, my grandad has a 22 year old truck that I was able to borrow until I could get a new set of wheels (that took 40 days since it was the worst time to buy a car). Her minivan was totaled and her daughter was pursing to have her driver's license suspended. My daughters and I didn't need any medical treatment (which is a miracle for all the crazy involved). I was already seeing a therapist for having a faith crises so I just added additional anxiety caused by driving to our sessions. So I feel this chapter had kind of closed. The only thing I am still owed is the chicken sandwich I paid for and never got. :lol: