Updated list of Humble Braggage

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Gatorbait

Updated list of Humble Braggage

Post by Gatorbait » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:32 am

Seems like that through the years the “humble brag” has evolved, so maybe we need to update our list of humble braggage. I’ll start:
1. All my sons earned their Eagle Scout badge. Nowadays- who the hell cares-church gave scouts the heave ho- think of something else to brag about.

Help fill out the list as we need to be current with this sort of thing.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Red Ryder

Re: Updated list of Humble Braggage

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:07 pm

Humble brags I currently hear about and see:

1. Tempe Ordinance appointments

Seems the temple is by appointment only still? A lot of humble bragging about getting an Endowment appointment as if it’s a sold out concert!

“I feel so blessed I was able to get a temple appointment for next Thursday at 6:30 PM to do endowments. #blessed #temple #GatheringIsrael

2. Humble bragging about their testimony of a modern day prophet.

I’m so blessed to follow the prophet. He knows the way!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:36 pm

Gatorbait wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:32 am
Seems like that through the years the “humble brag” has evolved, so maybe we need to update our list of humble braggage. I’ll start:
1. All my sons earned their Eagle Scout badge. Nowadays- who the hell cares-church gave scouts the heave ho- think of something else to brag about.

Help fill out the list as we need to be current with this sort of thing.
I think I can top that. Both my son AND my daughter got their Eagles. And both have the Aaronic priesthood. Take that, Elder Oaks!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:54 pm

I think it was Rasband who declared that he was one of the "weak and foolish" called to serve God. Of course he had a 7 figure salary before being a GA.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:00 am

blazerb wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:54 pm
I think it was Rasband who declared that he was one of the "weak and foolish" called to serve God. Of course he had a 7 figure salary before being a GA.
Elder Rasband does not actually consider himself either weak or foolish, he is as full of himself as they come. He was being pretty disingenuous with that quote.

As humble brags go, this is one of the worst: "I'm so blessed to have a righteous, worthy priesthood bearer as an eternal companion". Especially when this is said by the wife of a bishop or stake president. That one always rubs me the wrong way.
Last edited by Not Buying It on Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:06 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:00 am
blazerb wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:54 pm
Elder Rasband does not actually consider himself either work or foolish, he is as full of himself as they come. He was being pretty disingenuous with that quote.

As humble brags go, this is one of the worst: "I'm so blessed to have a righteous, worthy priesthood bearer as an eternal companion". Especially when this is said by the wife of a bishop or stake president. That one always rubs me the wrong way.
In response to these types of proclamations was my mother giving my dad shady side eye that always made me giggle.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:21 am

I remember missionary leadership was and is a big deal. I even hear ex-Mormons say “I was an AP.”
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:41 am

My MIL used to like to say all her boys served missions and all her daughters married RMs and they all got married in the temple, but not all of her sister's kids did because they would sometimes go camping on Sundays.