Lighting the Y

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
blazerb

Lighting the Y

Post by blazerb » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:56 am

So, I see that the Y was lit in transgender and LGBT colors yesterday. Police were called by the university. I wonder why the church makes such a big deal out of this. They should just allow the events for two reasons. First, it's just the right thing to do. Let people speak. However, I realize this is not in the church's character. Second, this is just another PR problem for the church. Every time they get involved, it draws more attention to the church's tragic policies.

Hagoth

Re: Lighting the Y

Post by Hagoth » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:51 am

blazerb wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:56 am
So, I see that the Y was lit in transgender and LGBT colors yesterday. Police were called by the university. I wonder why the church makes such a big deal out of this. They should just allow the events for two reasons. First, it's just the right thing to do. Let people speak. However, I realize this is not in the church's character. Second, this is just another PR problem for the church. Every time they get involved, it draws more attention to the church's tragic policies.
The church never misses an opportunity to demonstrate that they haven't thought things through.

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:04 pm

I just saw the Latter Gay Stories Facebook page and they announced "no arrests, no citations. BYU folded. Love wins."

So that's good news, but isn't it just because the Y itself is on public land, and they can't just stop this kind of activity willy nilly? I think that protesters just called BYU's bluff, and as LGS says, they just folded.

Why they even bother, is beyond me.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:37 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:04 pm
I just saw the Latter Gay Stories Facebook page and they announced "no arrests, no citations. BYU folded. Love wins."

So that's good news, but isn't it just because the Y itself is on public land, and they can't just stop this kind of activity willy nilly? I think that protesters just called BYU's bluff, and as LGS says, they just folded.

I love the part where BYU police called Provo police for backup... And Provo police ignored the call.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:24 pm

Now they need to hike up and light it up blue and white.

See if the police get called again.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:55 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:

I wonder if they hope, beyond all reason, that people will just accept the fence and not pay attention to the law. The church gets to pretend that it has authority, similar to the way they pretend in other arenas, and they can concentrate on forging their plowshares into muskets.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:12 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:37 pm
I love the part where BYU police called Provo police for backup... And Provo police ignored the call.
Thank goodness for the donuts delaying the arrival of the Provo SWAT team with their muskets drawn. That is a powerfully steep hill to climb to open fire on some rainbow lights.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:17 am

blazerb wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:56 am
Every time they get involved, it draws more attention to the church's tragic policies.
Makes you wonder why more teens are not leaving in protest.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:51 am

Mormorrisey wrote:

Really good news. I love this BTW!!

What I heard is that BYU bought the land from the FEDS but the agreement is that they need to allow PUBLIC ACCESS to it still so they may have had a weak case against the people doing this who called perhaps their bluff. Good for them!!!
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:50 pm

stealthbishop wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:51 am
Mormorrisey wrote:

Really good news. I love this BTW!!

What I heard is that BYU bought the land from the FEDS but the agreement is that they need to allow PUBLIC ACCESS to it still so they may have had a weak case against the people doing this who called perhaps their bluff. Good for them!!!
It's my understanding that with some new, recent policy at BYU that required students to get permission to protest, that BYU also put up some plastic fences or something around the "Y" and there were also signs that said that BYU students protesting on/near the "Y" would be punished.

The folks who did the evil light-shining were not students, so there was essentially nothing that BYU "police" could do.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:13 pm

This reminds me of a mischievous plot I need Kishkumen to help me with.

There’s a stake center a few miles from my house that has 4 or 5 bright lights that light up the front of the building at night. I’ve thought it would be fun to get some colored glass to place on top of the lights to add a rainbow of color to the building.

Considering they are ground level the night watchman checking on the building could easily remove.

But it would be fun to post a picture on the internet.

Or rustle up 200 people with colored flashlights and shine a rainbow on the Timpanogos Temple. You know, as a reminder that God will never flood the earth again!

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:56 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
Nothing would infuriate the senior Brethren more than hearing "love wins" in this context. Seeing as how the Provo police backed out of the situation, the Brethren will be ordering other options. Can they get the other more rural Utah police agencies on board or perhaps call out the Utah National Guard or that paramilitary group, the Utah Militia?

Since the national Gay Pride Day will be June 28, 2022, President Oaks and Elder Holland might even consider hiring armed mercenary soldiers to bring about a resolution in a decisive conflict. Show those LGBTQ folks what the Church means about musket fire.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:23 am

The old saying is true: the flashlight is mightier than the sword.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:49 am

Another solution here.

Protestors should climb the mountain and shine their flashlights to form a Y parallel to the actual Y.

Who is going to know the difference if the protester’s fake lit up Y is actually 200 feet north of the actual unlit Y?

Y (fake protest lit) <_____________________ Y (real unlit)

Problem solved until BYU tries to squash using the Y trademark.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:32 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:49 am
Another solution here.

Protestors should climb the mountain and shine their flashlights to form a Y parallel to the actual Y.

Who is going to know the difference if the protester’s fake lit up Y is actually 200 feet north of the actual unlit Y?

Y (fake protest lit) <_____________________ Y (real unlit)

Problem solved until BYU tries to squash using the Y trademark.
I think they should make a G and an A next to the Y

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:35 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:32 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I like your thinking. You could do a whole marketing campaign around "gaY". I would buy that t-shirt. I would wear it to my parents (both BYU alumi) just to get their reaction.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:33 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:32 pm

When the Y lights up I can imagine a BYU admin breaking their musket out of its glass case, pouring the powder down the barrel, and tamping a ball down with a ramrod (phrasing). Right about that time the G and A light up...

"Oh, General Authority Young. How nice."
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin