Under the Banner of Heaven TV show

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
blazerb

Re: Under the Banner of Heaven TV show

Post by blazerb » Fri May 13, 2022 5:01 pm

alas wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:30 am
I think it is that the people prone to violence go looking for justification in the church history. They want an excuse and then blame the history.
If I understand you correctly, only the people who are prone to violence would use church history to justify it. However, it is likely that if those teachings did not exist, they would find some other justification. The stories that humans tell give lots of possible justifications.

Let me know if I did not get that right. Thanks.

alas

Re: Under the Banner of Heaven TV show

Post by alas » Sat May 14, 2022 7:07 pm

blazerb wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:01 pm
alas wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:30 am
I think it is that the people prone to violence go looking for justification in the church history. They want an excuse and then blame the history.
If I understand you correctly, only the people who are prone to violence would use church history to justify it. However, it is likely that if those teachings did not exist, they would find some other justification. The stories that humans tell give lots of possible justifications.

Let me know if I did not get that right. Thanks.
Yup, exactly. People find justification for what they want to do. If they hadn’t found violence in church history, they would have found some other justification. So, in this case, I really disagree with the books theory that Mormon history “leads” to violence. In fact, according to those who study the human brain, you decide to do it then find some justification or reason, for everything. Our desire comes before our reasons. It makes one wonder if we even really have free agency, or is our primitive brain making the choice, then our frontal cortex figuring out why? I don’t like to think about the implications of that too deeply.