The widow's mite, or the widow's MUST

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

The widow's mite, or the widow's MUST

Post by Hagoth » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:11 am

My calling in the church is organizing the fundraiser for YM and YW activities. That only requires me to enter the building once or twice a year.

I was at the kick-off meeting last week and the bishop said something very interesting. He was talking about how important it is to give an exact accounting of all money collected. He said, "the church cares more about money than anything. Nothing would get me excommunicated faster than not being able to account for ONE PENNY." Keep in mind that this is a VERY orthodox and devout member who is in absolute awe of The Brethren. For example of how devout he is, he won't let his sons go home teaching with a companion who doesn't have a current recommend. But he seemed genuinely unsettled by his encounters with the money collectors.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

stealthbishop

Re: The widow's mite, or the widow's MUST

Post by stealthbishop » Mon May 02, 2022 11:54 am

This is pretty common language in LDS hierarchy trainings in my experience anyways. I heard this kind of language all of the time as a bishop and before I was bishop in our trainings. My sense is that it is perhaps a threat to would-be embezzlers. It's also a way to keep in mind the sacrifices of widows etc., in terms of using fast offerings to help others so that you are not wasting it.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Mon May 02, 2022 6:56 pm

I also heard it all the time. This type of talk prompted me to do my best to get released as ward clerk. The training will always say it's because the tithing funds are so sacred. I have a feeling that the excuse is more of a psychological justification that conceals a different motive that the leadership does not want to admit.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon May 02, 2022 7:21 pm

Former stake auditor here:

Definitely the widows must.

I actually got released after I held up the stake audit because I kept finding bishops storehouse food orders never matched the carbon copy the storehouse sent back to the ward.

This means the bishop or RSP filled out the form for 2 loads of bread, a stick of butter, and an instant jello pudding.

The member in need picked up 4 loaves of bread, 8 sticks of butter, 0 instant puddings, four jars of Deseret peanut butter, 5 cans of hot cocoa, two bags of brown sugar, 8 lbs of white granulated sugar, 4 bags of hotdog buns, two cans of fruit in high fructose corn syrup, and two lbs of hamburger.

The Bishop said, yes I’ve been meaning to talk with her and let her know that’s not to be altered. But people need to eat and I don’t have it in me. I said, I understood but my job was to list the exceptions to the rules I found. He tries to talk me out of it but being the good little church auditor I was, I reported. That won me a call from the stake President telling me I was trying to get his guys in group me and therefore he thanked me for my service and released me.

Looking back I’m disappointed in myself for not seeing the humanity in an extra bit of food from the bishops storehouse going to good use.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Tue May 03, 2022 6:49 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:11 am
For example of how devout he is, he won't let his sons go home teaching with a companion who doesn't have a current recommend.
Sidebar and thread hijack: If he was really following the counsel he wouldn't let a minor son go home teaching with any companion unless there was two deep leadership there the whole time.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program.

-lost

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue May 03, 2022 7:11 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:21 pm
Looking back I’m disappointed in myself for not seeing the humanity in an extra bit of food from the bishops storehouse going to good use.
In your defense, I'm sure that was before you knew the church was sitting on a hundred billion dollars of "charity" funds while still bleeding the widow.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue May 03, 2022 7:16 am

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:49 am
Hagoth wrote:
For example of how devout he is, he won't let his sons go home teaching with a companion who doesn't have a current recommend.
Sidebar and thread hijack: If he was really following the counsel he wouldn't let a minor son go home teaching with any companion unless there was two deep leadership there the whole time.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program.

-lost
Good point. But I will see your objection and raise you one. If you believe in things like the spirit of discernment you will have a testimony that a pedophile could never get a temple recommend. Even if he did, it demonstrates how fully he has repented, his sins were wiped clean, and he will never do it again.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue May 03, 2022 11:33 am

And we all know two deep leadership was only a Boy Scout thing. Not a church policy.

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Tue May 03, 2022 12:35 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:33 am
And we all know two deep leadership was only a Boy Scout thing. Not a church policy.
....because the church cares more about its money than about preventing child abuse.

See that, we brought it full circle!

-lost

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue May 03, 2022 5:09 pm

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:35 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:33 am
....because the church cares more about its money than about preventing child abuse.

See that, we brought it full circle!

-lost
:lol:

Love your insights Lost!

hmb

Post by hmb » Wed May 04, 2022 5:15 am

Hagoth wrote:
My calling in the church is organizing the fundraiser for YM and YW activities.
Off topic (sorry, but curious). Just wondering if the activities for boys has become as crappy as activities for girls? Without the boy scouts, have the activities for YM and YW become equally underwhelming?

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed May 04, 2022 9:39 am

hmb wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 5:15 am
Hagoth wrote:
Off topic (sorry, but curious). Just wondering if the activities for boys has become as crappy as activities for girls? Without the boy scouts, have the activities for YM and YW become equally underwhelming?
Yup. According to our ward activity rates it’s pizza night mingled with scripture and swimming.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed May 04, 2022 4:05 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:39 am
hmb wrote:
Hagoth wrote:
Yup. According to our ward activity rates it’s pizza night mingled with scripture and swimming.
Taco Tuesday here. Every activity is a gospel teaching opportunity, meaning they don't really have to plan or teach anything real. Fortunately, I am no longer involved in any of that. I just plan and organize flag routes.

hmb

Post by hmb » Thu May 05, 2022 8:09 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 4:05 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:39 am
hmb wrote:

Taco Tuesday here. Every activity is a gospel teaching opportunity, meaning they don't really have to plan or teach anything real. Fortunately, I am no longer involved in any of that. I just plan and organize flag routes.
Huh. I thought hearing it was more equal would make me feel better, but it just makes me sad for all the youth. Widow mite funded activities.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed May 18, 2022 6:33 am

Hagoth wrote:
I was at the kick-off meeting last week and the bishop said something very interesting. He was talking about how important it is to give an exact accounting of all money collected. He said, "the church cares more about money than anything. Nothing would get me excommunicated faster than not being able to account for ONE PENNY."
It is funny how strict the church is with accounting for every penny from the underlings, but refuse to account for anything themselves. Accountability is only in one direction.

Hagoth, how would your bishop react if he demanded the same strict, to the penny, accountability of his stake or area leaders?

When businesses have this sort of leadership, it usually results in criminal fraud and corruption investigations.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed May 18, 2022 8:40 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:21 pm
This means the bishop or RSP filled out the form for 2 loads of bread, a stick of butter, and an instant jello pudding.

The member in need picked up 4 loaves of bread, 8 sticks of butter, 0 instant puddings, four jars of Deseret peanut butter, 5 cans of hot cocoa, two bags of brown sugar, 8 lbs of white granulated sugar, 4 bags of hotdog buns, two cans of fruit in high fructose corn syrup, and two lbs of hamburger.
I would wonder what the bishop was thinking in writing such a meager order. When one's conservatism matches one's heart, it is time to hit the reset button.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha