Follow the prophets... at your own peril

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Follow the prophets... at your own peril

Post by Hagoth » Mon May 30, 2022 6:15 am

Nothing will get you excommunicated from the modern LDS church faster than following the examples of our founding prophets and teaching their doctrines.

Tell me where I am wrong in that assumption.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Re: Follow the prophets... at your own peril

Post by jfro18 » Tue May 31, 2022 6:51 am

You forgot (living) between Follow and The.

But isn't it amazing how little kids sing this song in primary and yet never think about what doing so would've led them to do in the past? It's insane, really.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue May 31, 2022 8:46 am

jfro18 wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 6:51 am
You forgot (living) between Follow and The.

But isn't it amazing how little kids sing this song in primary and yet never think about what doing so would've led them to do in the past? It's insane, really.
I don't remember the "living" part of the quote being emphasized when I was young. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that word was only added after the internet allowed people to easily read the crazy things that past prophets have taught.

Here is my attempt at a new verse for the song.

Brigham was a prophet,
taught that Adam is our God
Orson Pratt did fight him,
the doctrine was too odd.

Now the theory's precepts
have been disavowed.
The heresy is too deadly
for the righteous crowd.

I found some other new verses here:https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... e_prophet/
and here: https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... t_russell/

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue May 31, 2022 9:02 am

What if Mormons were to argue that Smith was helping God through the creation of Smith's own stories?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue May 31, 2022 9:57 pm

Can you imagine the mayhem if you stood up in the middle of sacrament meeting and started spontaneously speaking in tongues and prophesying like they did in Kirtland? I was in a ward where I guy got repeatedly called to repentance by the bishop for singing too loudly.

Or if a GA stood at the pulpit and bragged about how many more girls he could get than men half his age, like Brigham did?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:45 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 9:57 pm
Can you imagine the mayhem if you stood up in the middle of sacrament meeting and started spontaneously speaking in tongues and prophesying like they did in Kirtland? I was in a ward where I guy got repeatedly called to repentance by the bishop for singing too loudly.

Or if a GA stood at the pulpit and bragged about how many more girls he could get than men half his age, like Brigham did?
Brigham was only a product of his time and culture. :shock: But he did have a mean streak. :twisted: If Thomas B. Marsh was the prodigal son, what does that make Brigham Young?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:03 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:45 pm
If Thomas B. Marsh was the prodigal son, what does that make Brigham Young?
If this was Lovecraftian lore, Brigham Young would be Cthulhu, and Marsh would be a character caught up in his mythos.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:52 am

moksha wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:03 pm
deacon blues wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:45 pm
If Thomas B. Marsh was the prodigal son, what does that make Brigham Young?
If this was Lovecraftian lore, Brigham Young would be Cthulhu, and Marsh would be a character caught up in his mythos.
An inscription found on an ancient black monolith on Antarctica reveals that Brigham's secret temple name is Nyarlathotep The Crawling Chaos.