FLDS Garments and Temple Outfit

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Red Ryder

FLDS Garments and Temple Outfit

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:11 pm

We watched the first two episodes of Keep Sweet last night and noticed that Uncle Rulon was lying in his casket with the same pleated robe and green apron that mainstream Mormons use today in temple ceremonies.

Is the temple costume the same for both sects?

Also wondering if the garments are the same? Obviously the symbols are are the same. The show didn’t get into the details other than to say that Warren Jeffs had them go back to the long ankles and wrists underwear. Just wondering if prior to that they used the same authorized pattern?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Re: FLDS Garments and Temple Outfit

Post by moksha » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:50 pm

I was surprised by that recent Mormon Stories episode that mentioned having FLDS 5-year-olds wearing garments.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:49 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:11 pm
We watched the first two episodes of Keep Sweet last night and noticed that Uncle Rulon was lying in his casket with the same pleated robe and green apron that mainstream Mormons use today in temple ceremonies.

Is the temple costume the same for both sects?

Also wondering if the garments are the same? Obviously the symbols are are the same. The show didn’t get into the details other than to say that Warren Jeffs had them go back to the long ankles and wrists underwear. Just wondering if prior to that they used the same authorized pattern?
I saw that but interestingly he didn't have the hat on. I wondered about that too. What they kept and what has changed or evolved over time.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:31 am

I believe Lindsay Hansen Park had an episode of Year of Polygamy where she discussed how the Fundamentalists "got" their version of the ritual. I believe there was also a discussion about the pantaloons at some point in here podcast also.

Of course I'm WAY too lazy to go look for it...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:33 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:50 pm
I was surprised by that recent Mormon Stories episode that mentioned having FLDS 5-year-olds wearing garments.
I'm imagining something like Underoos or Garanimals, but with little cartoon Uncle Rulons on them instead of superheroes and animals. Name suggestion: Funderwear (they're both fun AND fundamentalist.)
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."