Priesthood is just...

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Priesthood is just...

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:26 pm

...folk magic without the magic rocks, dowsing rods, and ceremonial daggers.

Am I wrong?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Re: Priesthood is just...

Post by wtfluff » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:35 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:26 pm

Am I wrong?
You're not wrong. At least modern-day Priesthood Wizards still get to use Magick Oil.

It's also a "title" that tells you your place in the hierarchy of the Corporation™.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:59 am

Hagoth wrote:

Am I wrong?
You're right about the ceremonial dagger, but there was an amulet of Jupiter and a white stove pipe hat for sorting notes and seer stones. If you follow the adventures of Dr. Daniel C. Peterson of BYU, you know that dowsing rods are still used by Church members. Chalk one up for the multifaceted nature of the LDS Priesthood.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:20 am

And then there was Elder Uchtdorf telling us that iPhones are the new seer stones. I'm downloading the treasure finding app now.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:56 am

You are 100% correct and I regret to inform you I will be stealing this idea for future references to the priesthood. What a simple, easy to understand way to frame what priesthood power actually is.

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:16 pm

Prayers are incantations. The blessing on the sacrament a ritual spell for holiness

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:30 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:59 am
Hagoth wrote:

Am I wrong?
You're right about the ceremonial dagger, but there was an amulet of Jupiter and a white stove pipe hat for sorting notes and seer stones. If you follow the adventures of Dr. Daniel C. Peterson of BYU, you know that dowsing rods are still used by Church members. Chalk one up for the multifaceted nature of the LDS Priesthood.
I thought that was in Harry Potter…I guess it was Joe Smith instead.
~2bizE

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:28 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:56 am
You are 100% correct and I regret to inform you I will be stealing this idea for future references to the priesthood. What a simple, easy to understand way to frame what priesthood power actually is.
This is true, but a complete description might involve a description of the hierarchical nature of the priesthood also. It's like the Game of Tag, someone has to touch you to give it to you. ;)
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:48 pm

jfro18 wrote:
I regret to inform you I will be stealing this idea for future references to the priesthood.
Feel free to steal the concept of the priesthood antennae. Joseph's priesthood antennae was frequently rigid with all the messages he was getting from God, the Angel, and those women in Kirkland, Missouri, and Nauvoo.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:44 am

deacon blues wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:28 pm
jfro18 wrote:
This is true, but a complete description might involve a description of the hierarchical nature of the priesthood also. It's like the Game of Tag, someone has to touch you to give it to you. ;)
And some people aren't even eligible to play the game.

i think that there is a huge difference between the actual power of the priesthood (which your post describes perfectly) and the authority of the priesthood in the church which causes a lot of real harm to a lot of real people.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:27 am

dogbite wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:16 pm
Prayers are incantations. The blessing on the sacrament a ritual spell for holiness
And if you doubt it, try changing just one syllable. The magic spell won't work.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:30 am

glass shelf wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:44 am
i think that there is a huge difference between the actual power of the priesthood (which your post describes perfectly) and the authority of the priesthood in the church which causes a lot of real harm to a lot of real people.
That's a great point, Glass. You give people power they don't deserve by playing along with their pretense of magic.

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:20 am

I already know the answer to this question, but has anyone actually been "healed" by a PH blessing?

I have a friend who had a tumor on his pituitary gland. His treatment options were surgery or taking a medicine a few times a week to make the tumor shrink. He chose the medicine so he eats a pill a couple of times a week. He swears that the PH blessings his sons gave him saved his life.......while he still takes the pills. I mean his theory is testable but I don't want bring it up.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:48 am

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:20 am
I already know the answer to this question, but has anyone actually been "healed" by a PH blessing?

I have a friend who had a tumor on his pituitary gland. His treatment options were surgery or taking a medicine a few times a week to make the tumor shrink. He chose the medicine so he eats a pill a couple of times a week. He swears that the PH blessings his sons gave him saved his life.......while he still takes the pills. I mean his theory is testable but I don't want bring it up.
When I was a kid it seemed like we were constantly hearing stories about amazing priesthood healings. There has been a lot advancement in medical techniques, imaging, communication, and record keeping since then and it seems like the miracle stories have become a lot less common. Now we even have apostles praising people with the faith to NOT be healed.

We also used to hear stories from the previous generations about people being raised from the dead. But those don't seem to happen anymore.

I still hear lesser healing stories, but they tend to fall into either the take-the-pill-but-credit-the-priesthood category or the priesthood-as-placebo category, kind of like what happens with other alternative medicines like homeopathy. My favorites are the stories that include paramedics, life-flight helicopters, teams of skilled surgeons and state-of-the-art hospitals, but the priesthood blessing still takes all the credit.

crazyhamster

Post by crazyhamster » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:06 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:20 am
And then there was Elder Uchtdorf telling us that iPhones are the new seer stones. I'm downloading the treasure finding app now.
To be fair, the translation app is pretty amazing. I went through the list though, and I can't find reformed Egyptian anywhere.

alas

Post by alas » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:45 pm

crazyhamster wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:06 pm
Hagoth wrote:
To be fair, the translation app is pretty amazing. I went through the list though, and I can't find reformed Egyptian anywhere.
It is good to see my favorite hamster around these parts.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:45 pm

100% folk magic.

crazyhamster

Post by crazyhamster » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:23 am

alas wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:45 pm
crazyhamster wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:06 pm
Hagoth wrote:
It is good to see my favorite hamster around these parts.
Thanks, Alas! Good to see some old familiar names around here.

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:40 pm

"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:05 pm

Priesthood is just... relabeling. :? Just see the Support Section: "No More Tithing Settlement." :roll:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.