Elder Kevin Pearson

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

Elder Kevin Pearson

Post by deacon blues » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:21 am

I listened to excerpts of Area Authority Kevin Pearson's Rising Generation speech a few days ago.. The idea of "don't pray if you should go on a mission" disturbed me, so I listened to the entire talk. There were other disturbing thoughts in the talk as well. I noticed the talk has been taken off the LDS website, but maybe somebody saved it somewhere.
One ironic thing Elder Pearson said was that (to paraphrase) the rising generation could do more than previous generations to spread the gospel. Accompanying this idea he said (again paraphrasing) young people today can know more about Joseph Smith than any previous generation.

On this I have to agree; Today young people can know more about Joseph Smith's manipulative tactics to coerce women into polygamy, they can learn more about his ordination to be a king on Earth, and they can know more about his involvement in the Danites and the Council of the Fifty, and his efforts to also cover up those potentially unlawful and treasonous organizations. Today young people can know more about Joseph Smith's fake "translation" of the Book of Abraham. They can know so much more than I could know in my youth in the 1960's-70's, but the reason they can know all this is because of critics of the Church.

Anyone who suggests that the Church allowed the printing of the Joseph Smith Papers and the essays without first having their hand forced by critics is in denial.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

nibbler

Re: Elder Kevin Pearson

Post by nibbler » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:44 am

deacon blues wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:21 am
the rising generation could do more than previous generations to spread the gospel. ... young people today can know more about Joseph Smith than any previous generation.
It's nuts how church leaders equate the gospel with Joseph Smith and the church. When they talk about spreading the gospel they don't mean converting people to Jesus, they mean converting people to the church.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:03 am

There's a link to the talk on the LDS Freedom Forum website, but I'll be damned if I am going to provide a link that sends any traffic to that site. You can go there on your own if you want and find it as long as I am not directly responsible for sending you there.

Dude's a tool. "God already told the prophet to tell you to go on a mission, why ask God about something he already told the Prophet about?" Duh, sometimes God gets tired of hearing about lost car keys and prayers asking that food will "nourish and strengthen our bodies" all the time, he kind of likes it when people mix it up a bit. Besides, Mr. Not a Prophet Seer and Revelator But Willing to Kiss the Butts of Those You Think Are, where would the Church be if Steve Young had just gone on a mission and deprived the Church of his awesome NFL football missionary powers? If the dude had served a mission he might not have made it to the NFL, there are probably, like, 12 members who only got baptized because he was such an awesome quarterback. Did you ever think of that? His Bishop told him "“Steve, your mission might be to do what you were born to do in terms of playing football.” What if he hadn't prayed about that, huh? (https://www.ldsliving.com/the-surprisin ... ll/s/82995)

Geez, what about one Russell M. Nelson, who might not have finished his education if he'd gone on a mission and would never have been President Kimball's heart surgeon and then never become an apostle who then would not have become the Mightiest Prophet of this Dispensation, changing the names of Church programs at will with the Amazing Keys of Church Program Name Changing. Where would the Church be then?

You have clearly not thought this through, Mr. Pearson. The Church might be in a different place if every young man had served a mission.

Seriously, though, the guy's a tool, and its dangerous that any young people might listen to him and serve a mission when it isn't in their best interest.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:46 am

Here’s the specific clip from YouTube.

https://youtu.be/DQfT0ZT2bEo

When did these guys adopt the evangelical swagger?

It’s like they’re trying to be cool and hip while throwing down the Lords commandments!

It would be cool if someone could edit the video and replace “mission” with “polygamous wife”.

Ok now that I’ve been down that rabbit hole. This guy is a tool. Another video clip about 2 young men. Statistics show that the one who went on a mission produced up to 18-20 active tithe paying adults compared to only 0.8 if you don’t go on a mission.

https://youtu.be/AeW7sUJ5i3E

No wonder they pulled the fireside video.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:25 pm

"The thinking has been done" lives on.

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:00 pm

This guy has been on my "tool" radar for well over a decade now. He was one of two visiting Seventies at our Stake Conference over ten years ago when my son was still planning on a mission. Elder Tool told a story from the pulpit about how at a mission meeting of some kind he asked a young elder to give a prayer, then berated the young man for how he prayed. Even TBM DW got how that would be devastating if our son was treated that way. But this guy told the story like he was proud of his superior knowledge of the right way to pray.

This guy came right out of arguably the worst part of corporate America, and he seems to act like members are the employees of a churlish employer. I put this guy ahead of Bednar for toolyness. He seems to be trying hard for a front row red chair. Hoping he makes emeritus age first.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:07 am

The best thing about these videos is how riveted and inspired the kids behind him appear to be.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:14 am

deacon blues wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:21 am
...young people today can know more about Joseph Smith than any previous generation.
And he's dense enough to not have the slightest idea why they are stampeding to the exit?

I wish I could hold up a mirror to people like this and let them see what massive buffoons they really are.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:00 pm

DPRoberts wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:00 pm
This guy came right out of arguably the worst part of corporate America, and he seems to act like members are the employees of a churlish employer. I put this guy ahead of Bednar for toolyness. He seems to be trying hard for a front row red chair. Hoping he makes emeritus age first.
Sounds like the kind of guy who has a good shot at making it to the front row red chair. God seems to really like calling jerks to lead his church. He's never quite topped himself after Brigham Young though, they don't make 'em like they used to.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:11 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:07 am
The best thing about these videos is how riveted and inspired the kids behind him appear to be.
Yeah, at least three are nodding or sleeping during the talk. :lol:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.