I'm a prophet, damn it, not a weatherman!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

I'm a prophet, damn it, not a weatherman!

Post by Hagoth » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:54 pm

Remember when everybody was finding out about Ensign Peak investments and asking why the church wasn't using that money to help people? Remember when the church said that money was set aside by the Lord for a rainy day?

Fast forward to this year when they lost billions in the faltering stock market.

Question: shouldn't someone with, I dunno, prophetic powers, have foreseen that the real rainy day would be a drop in the stock market, and that they could have done immeasurable good with that money if they had pulled it out of the market and put it toward worthy causes rather than gambling it away?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Re: I'm a prophet, damn it, not a weatherman!

Post by moksha » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:19 pm

Doesn't the market always go up again?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:46 am

Jesus is my Lord and Investment Advisor!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:03 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:19 pm
Doesn't the market always go up again?
If the apocalypse is at our doorstep, as Nelson keeps hinting, the market will be the first thing to go. We never got to hear the parable about the servant who invested his talents in a market that came to an abrupt end when the world ended. This demonstrates that the church (a financial institution) does not believe the teachings of the church (an apocalyptic religion).

So what happens if Nelson's doomsday warnings are true? The church suddenly liquidates its soon-to-be-valueless investments into soon-to-be-valueless currency? Or maybe gold? God loves gold. He uses it like we use asphalt. He always made sure the Israelites took all of the gold after they slaughtered their neighbors. They even took the Egyptians' gold when they made their exodus. What exactly is gold good for if you're just going to be carrying it around in the desert for 40 years? Oh right, making calf idols.

Will we know the end is nigh when the church converts all of its investments into MREs, ammo and Greyhound tickets to Jackson County?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:17 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:54 pm
Remember when everybody was finding out about Ensign Peak investments and asking why the church wasn't using that money to help people? Remember when the church said that money was set aside by the Lord for a rainy day?
That was awesome.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:56 pm

nibbler wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:17 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:54 pm
That was awesome.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:20 pm

It's kind of like living in Colorado city, just escape to one border or another to avoid inconveniences. Speaking like a man or a prophet. Acting like a for profit or non-profit, prophet vs non-prophet. But yeah, since the Heber J. Grant trying to find a grant days you would think they would have been smarter in the hear and now about how they invested all those tithing funds with the down swing. Maybe Ensign is just a distraction from some other really big pile of assets and holdings they are sitting on. I think there's more than a seer stone in that closet at the big white office building in SLC.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Linked

Post by Linked » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:08 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:03 am
Will we know the end is nigh when the church converts all of its investments into MREs, ammo and Greyhound tickets to Jackson County?
Where's the trigger warning :D ? Flash back to my parents food storage room and some terrible camping dinners.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:00 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:20 pm
Maybe Ensign is just a distraction from some other really big pile of assets and holdings they are sitting on.
It's called the Sexual Assault Hush Money Fund.