Outer Darkness

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Outer Darkness

Post by Hagoth » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:10 pm

Somewhere, far beneath the deepest basement of the Telestial Kingdom is a place called Outer Darkness. We first became aware of it when some of Joseph Smith's closest confidants began to push back against his questionable behaviors and he needed something to threaten them with.

It's not where Ted Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer will go after the judgement. No, it's set aside for people who do even worse things, like argue over milk strippings or voice discomfort when their religious leader secretly marries little girls behind his wife's back.

Question: So, who deserves to spend eternity in the the most horrible punishment Mormonism has to offer?

1- Someone who has (or thinks they have) a certain knowledge of the truthfulness of Mormonism, but speaks out against their church leaders.

2- Someone who doesn't have a certain knowledge but pretends they do, claims "I know the church is true," and uses it to garner authority and respect.

3- Someone who claims to be Jesus' only mouthpiece on earth while secretly marrying little girls behind his wife's back.

4- A bishop who rapes young children who trust him as their spiritual protector.

5- Hitler

Answer: The answer, as you know, is number 1.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

dogbite

Re: Outer Darkness

Post by dogbite » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:30 pm

You have to establish unambiguous right v wrong. Humanity hasn't achieved that yet. Objective morality doesn't exist so far as I can tell.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:26 am

I once had an institute teacher who shared scriptures to support the view that everyone, probably even Satan, would eventually be given a chance to progress. I wonder if the LDS leaders who spoke against progression between "kingdoms" were doing so with the same attitude expressed in D&C 19, attempting to scare people into obedience even though punishments don't really last forever.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:56 am

All I know is: I'm looking forward to hanging out with Y'all in " OUTER DARKNESS "

(As if OUTER DARKNESS is actually real. And if it is, I'm pretty sure that's where I'll end up after dying, meeting Elohim, and kicking "him" in the crotch with all my might, mind, and strength.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...