God loves the apostate?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

God loves the apostate?

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:05 am

It is an insult to God to believe in God. For on the one hand it is to suppose that he has perpetrated acts of incalculable cruelty. On the other hand, it is to suppose that he has perversely given his human creatures an instrument--their intellect--which must inevitably lead them, if they are dispassionate and honest, to deny his existence. It is tempting to conclude that if he exists, it is the atheists and agnostics that he loves best, among those with any pretensions to education. For they are the ones who have taken him most seriously. -Galen Strawson, British philosopher
This applies to my NOM friends, regarding the church. Who genuinely cares more about truth than those who have sincerely examined their own worldview with enough courage to let go of it when they found it unsustainable? Wouldn't a real God value that kind of curiosity, adaptability, and self-honesty far above someone who chooses simply go along with the program that is handed to them, relying on emotion and convenience rather than exposing themselves to the the gut-punch-rug-pulling potential of critical examination?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Zeezrom

Re: God loves the apostate?

Post by Zeezrom » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:05 pm

100% agree with this. I’ve noticed that ex-Mormons and PIMO’s are by far the most devout and well-read scriptorians and church historians. It’s the TBM’s who seem to be the lazy learners and lack the drive and curiosity to examine their own religion and beliefs.

deacon blues

Re: God loves the apostate?

Post by deacon blues » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:06 am

I think this is connected to the God is a Man, or God is a individual spirit ideas. If God is Love, or if God is Wisdom, of course she loves the apostate. ;)
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.