Where was the City of Enoch?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Where was the City of Enoch?

Post by Hagoth » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:38 am

It was post-Adam and pre-Noah, which means it was in North America, right? Have you heard any speculations about this?

The Grand Canyon? Or maybe Vernal, Utah. When the CofE tore loose from the ground it uncovered all of those dinosaur bones that were leftovers from the planet fragments that were used to build the earth.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Re: Where was the City of Enoch?

Post by moksha » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:04 am

Wonder if it could have been in the Yellowstone caldera?

The intergalactic space criminal Brainiac was known to capture whole cities and place them in a bottle to add to his collection. He literally took them up into space after translating them with his shrink ray. Generations of captured inhabitants lived a miniaturized existence in these bottles in his spacecraft.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:38 am

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:13 am

In their imagination

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:51 pm

My grandmother was adamant that the Gulf of Mexico was the hole left behind from the City of Enoch being taken up to heaven. Not sure where she got that from; Cleon Skousen maybe? Evidently in the last days it will come back down to that spot.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:46 pm

Culper Jr. wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:51 pm
My grandmother was adamant that the Gulf of Mexico was the hole left behind from the City of Enoch being taken up to heaven. Not sure where she got that from; Cleon Skousen maybe? Evidently in the last days it will come back down to that spot.
I had a physical science professor my freshman year at BYU who said this. He was a geologist I believe. I think it was a joke, but it was not clear.

When I was in high school, I had a seminary teacher who told us that only the people of the City of Enoch were taken up, no land or animals. However, at least one student brought out the words of the prophets as recorded in the Journal of Discourses to show he was wrong.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:06 pm

blazerb wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:46 pm
I had a physical science professor my freshman year at BYU who said this.
Professors of fantasy and science fiction at BYU might also be aware of this story.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:55 am

From Wilford Woodruff's Journal: "Joseph also said that when the City of Enoch fled and was translated, it was where the gulf of Mexico now is; it left that gulf a body of water."

I can't find it, but I remember reading an excerpt from the journal of an early saint who said Joseph Smith pointed to a star near the North Star and told him it was the City of Enoch.

Also, I remember someone from my youth, either a seminary teacher or a fireside speaker, proclaim that the City of Enoch is still in our solar system, somewhere beyond the orbit of Jupiter.

I have a new theory. We now know there was an asteroid impact in the Gulf of Mexico. I propose it was the City of Enoch returning to its original spot, but due to a reentry speed miscalculation due to a failure to convert feet to meters, it came in a bit hot.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:45 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:55 am
From Wilford Woodruff's Journal: "Joseph also said that when the City of Enoch fled and was translated, it was where the gulf of Mexico now is; it left that gulf a body of water."

I can't find it, but I remember reading an excerpt from the journal of an early saint who said Joseph Smith pointed to a star near the North Star and told him it was the City of Enoch.

Also, I remember someone from my youth, either a seminary teacher or a fireside speaker, proclaim that the City of Enoch is still in our solar system, somewhere beyond the orbit of Jupiter.

I have a new theory. We now know there was an asteroid impact in the Gulf of Mexico. I propose it was the City of Enoch returning to its original spot, but due to a reentry speed miscalculation due to a failure to convert feet to meters, it came in a bit hot.
:lol: I remember hearing the same thing in seminary back in the day, approximately 1970.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:55 am

Culper Jr. wrote:
I didn't hear this theory until just a few years ago. Weird, because I grew up in the BUBBLE.

It still makes me giggle a bit when I hear it anew... :lol:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:40 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:55 am
Culper Jr. wrote:
I didn't hear this theory until just a few years ago. Weird, because I grew up in the BUBBLE.

It still makes me giggle a bit when I hear it anew... :lol:
Hey, you are doing better than me. I have not heard that one before. Mormonism is always good for more crazy.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:48 pm

Here's one. The City of Enoch was actually shrunk to the size of a marble and now it's hanging from the collar of a cat in NYC.

alas

Post by alas » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:42 pm

Yup, I heard in seminary that the City of Enoch was where the Gulf of Mexico is now and that it will be returned to the same spot.

Now, considering g that global warming is going to melt all the polar ice and raise sea level by about 6 feet, then on top of that God will plop the City of Enoch down and fill up the whole of the Gulf of Mexico, raising sea level globally another 10 feet, all coastal cities are in big trouble. Glad I am some 6,000 feet above sea level.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:14 am

alas wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:42 pm
Yup, I heard in seminary that the City of Enoch was where the Gulf of Mexico is now and that it will be returned to the same spot.

Now, considering g that global warming is going to melt all the polar ice and raise sea level by about 6 feet, then on top of that God will plop the City of Enoch down and fill up the whole of the Gulf of Mexico, raising sea level globally another 10 feet, all coastal cities are in big trouble. Glad I am some 6,000 feet above sea level.
So the City of Enoch is the Mormon version of Atlantis. Sure. Makes sense.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:05 pm

Encyclopedia Galactica wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:04 am
The intergalactic space criminal Brainiac was known to capture whole cities and place them in a bottle to add to his collection. He literally took them up into space after translating them with his shrink ray. Generations of captured inhabitants lived a miniaturized existence in these bottles in his spacecraft.
Subsequently, Brainiac also repeated this translation procedure via the shrink ray on the Kryptonian city of Kandor and took it up to his spaceship. Why? Perhaps Brainiac viewed himself as a covetous God. Perhaps he intended to later reexpand select female inhabitants and propose polygamous marriage.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:21 pm

moksha wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:05 pm
Encyclopedia Galactica wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:04 am
Subsequently, Brainiac also repeated this translation procedure via the shrink ray on the Kryptonian city of Kandor and took it up to his spaceship. Why? Perhaps Brainiac viewed himself as a covetous God. Perhaps he intended to later reexpand select female inhabitants and propose polygamous marriage.
Another alternative use of "translate."