Silly new apologetics site - Show Your Shelf

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Silly new apologetics site - Show Your Shelf

Post by Hagoth » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:07 pm

https://www.showyourshelf.com/

The premise is that this is a place where believing Mormons post their difficult to answer questions about Moromonism , but it's really just a reformatting of FAIR style apologetics. These questions aren't difficult to answer because they challenge your faith, they're difficult to answer because faith-promoting answers are just so dang overwhelming. Don't bother with silly questions like why did Joseph mistranslate the identities of ALL of the characters in Facsimile 3 and completely misinterpret an Egyptian Osiris resurrection scene as a "Chaldean" sacrifice, go for the really tough stuff like, "How would Joseph Smith guess an association between a pharaoh contemporary to Abraham and a “crocodile” god?"

Or:

"Why would Joseph Smith claim to have been visited by so many angels? Such as God the Father and Jesus in the grove, Moroni’s first visit at Joseph’s home, Moroni’s second visit at Joseph’s home, Moroni’s third visit at Joseph’s home, Moroni’s fourth visit outside in the field, yearly visits from Moroni, Adam, Abraham, Seth, Enoch, Isaac, Jacob, Raphael, Gabriel (Noah), Nephi, Mormon, Alma, the Three Nephites, John the Beloved, and a heavenly messenger. Isn’t every claim just one more opportunity to expose him as a fraud?"

Short answer: yup.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Ho Lee Turtle

Re: Silly new apologetics site - Show Your Shelf

Post by Ho Lee Turtle » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:26 pm

Reminds me of the wisdom of Thomas Pynchon, “If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers.”

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:38 pm

This is so over the top - like I get that their goal is to be faith promoting but the questions are just absurd.

How could anyone read the questions they list and believe they came from someone with doubts?

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:02 pm

Those are deep questions.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:27 pm

How could Joseph Smith get most things wrong if it wasn't all true?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:52 pm

The questions seem to be reframed to be about faith rather than facts as well.

græy

Post by græy » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:35 pm

I like #212:

"Why would Joseph Smith say that Moroni waved the “rent” of his garment?"

Obviously Moroni decided not to charge people for borrowing/wearing his garments. He lent them out free of charge.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack