Church fraud investigation

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.

Hagoth

Re: Church fraud investigation

Post by Hagoth » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:07 am

I certainly hope the Australian government won't just look the other way, like the US government seems to do when religions are involved. It seems like a church here just makes a statement, threatens lawsuits, and MAYBE pays a fine, and then it's business as usual. In the current US political climate corruption just doesn't seem to be out of the ordinary anymore. Hopefully, if other countries start doing the right thing, it will shame the US government into action.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:53 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:07 am
I certainly hope the Australian government won't just look the other way, like the US government seems to do when religions are involved. It seems like a church here just makes a statement, threatens lawsuits, and MAYBE pays a fine, and then it's business as usual. In the current US political climate corruption just doesn't seem to be out of the ordinary anymore. Hopefully, if other countries start doing the right thing, it will shame the US government into action.
Not great exposure for the Church on a National prime time tv show.

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:49 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:07 am
https://youtu.be/NgxGYUyvJio

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:50 am

Now this is more of what I was expecting/hoping for from the CBC news story - and then I saw that these news organizations were all working together from the link you posted. So the CBC story is just all part of a larger story, that the church is misrepresenting the scope of its charitable efforts all across the globe. This, I could get behind! It also explains Oaks bragging about charitable spending the last conference - they are trying to get ahead of the story.

Thanks for posting this.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:32 am

no1saint wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:49 pm
https://youtu.be/NgxGYUyvJio
Thanks, Saint. I hope this is just the tip of the iceberg!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:58 am

My question to Bednar if I were at the press conference: "in the story of the Good Samaritan, which character best represents the LDS church?"

alas

Post by alas » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:45 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:58 am
My question to Bednar if I were at the press conference: "in the story of the Good Samaritan, which character best represents the LDS church?"
Well, Bednar wouldn’t answer this way, but I would say the robbers who left the dude to die at the side of the road best represent a wealthy church who instructs the poor to pay tithing before buying groceries.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:55 am

I watched the documentary last night.

Bednar’s body language during the national press club speech was very telling. He had his body turned away from the front of the pulpit, perhaps to look at a video screen or perhaps in avoidance. His eyes seemed closed at times and his voice reflection was all over the place. Definitely not the controlled environment of general conference with the fake cadence and heart sell.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:02 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:55 am
I watched the documentary last night.

Bednar’s body language during the national press club speech was very telling. He had his body turned away from the front of the pulpit, perhaps to look at a video screen or perhaps in avoidance. His eyes seemed closed at times and his voice reflection was all over the place. Definitely not the controlled environment of general conference with the fake cadence and heart sell.
I believe Lard-Bednar is focusing on the person who was asking questions during the clips seen in the documentary.

If you haven't watched the entire press-club song-and-dance it's definitely worth it.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

AdmiralHoldo

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:49 pm

They'll get away with it. They have enough money to make it all go away.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:29 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:02 am
If you haven't watched the entire press-club song-and-dance it's definitely worth it.
Where can we see the whole enchilada?

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:44 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:29 pm
wtfluff wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAx1LRSB9kU
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:59 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:44 pm
Hagoth wrote:
wtfluff wrote:
Wow, that church Bednar's describing sounds really great, how do I join? For that matter, why doesn't he switch from working for a dishonest corporation and join that church instead? They really love women, people of color, and LGBTQ+ people! And they're so enthusiastic about helping Africans get fresh water, unlike Bednar's current church that can't help with that because they're "not a wealthy people."

:shock: Did you notice that the moderator asked the question about the church having over $100 Billon in investments and when Bednar repeated it back he changed it to 100 Million? Hilarious!.

I love the way he said "we strive" to love transgender members but "people" have misconceptions, biases and prejudices. By "people" he's trying to throw you and me under the bus when his answer is obviously more accurate regarding the leadership of the church, based on the stuff he said just a minute before, and the way he dodged the question about whether LGBTQ people will ever get to enjoy full membership equality.

I also love how he talks about the way they follow the Lord's revealed will and don't rely on focus groups.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:58 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:59 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:44 pm
Hagoth wrote:

Wow, that church Bednar's describing sounds really great, how do I join? For that matter, why doesn't he switch from working for a dishonest corporation and join that church instead? They really love women, people of color, and LGBTQ+ people! And they're so enthusiastic about helping Africans get fresh water, unlike Bednar's current church that can't help with that because they're "not a wealthy people."

:shock: Did you notice that the moderator asked the question about the church having over $100 Billon in investments and when Bednar repeated it back he changed it to 100 Million? Hilarious!.

I love the way he said "we strive" to love transgender members but "people" have misconceptions, biases and prejudices. By "people" he's trying to throw you and me under the bus when his answer is obviously more accurate regarding the leadership of the church, based on the stuff he said just a minute before, and the way he dodged the question about whether LGBTQ people will ever get to enjoy full membership equality.

I also love how he talks about the way they follow the Lord's revealed will and don't rely on focus groups.
I think my favorite part is how he bragged about his credentials in the beginning, and when one of the "hard" questions was asked, he literally said he was going to set aside his credentials and answer the question as an "apostle". Translation: "I can't answer this question honestly, this answer is a lie."

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander