Church supports marriage equality

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
blazerb

Re: Church supports marriage equality

Post by blazerb » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:17 am

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:56 am
There's a great Mormon Stories podcast with a panel of lawyers who explain how it is a tiny step for LGBTQ people, but a big win for the church's ability to continue discriminating.
I agree that the church wants to continue discriminating. I think an additional reason is shown in this graph of support for same-sex marriage across the US.
Public_opinion_of_same-sex_marriage_in_USA_by_state.svg.png
Public_opinion_of_same-sex_marriage_in_USA_by_state.svg.png (41.14 KiB) Viewed 427 times
You can see the original on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respect_for_Marriage_Act

In this graph the lightest blue, such as Utah and Wyoming, are states where a plurality support marriage equality. The darkest blue are states with more than 80% support for equality. There are only two states where a majority oppose equality, and they are nowhere near where many members of the church live. I think this is one more step of the church moving toward some level of acceptance of gay relationships, not because the leaders are benevolent, but because they will lose if they don't change. I think this is also consistent with their desire to continue discrimination at the current time.

deacon blues

Re: Church supports marriage equality

Post by deacon blues » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:19 pm

that map is very revealing. The Bible Belt is more prejudiced than the MorCor. :shock:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.