Reading and listening critically

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

Reading and listening critically

Post by deacon blues » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:16 am

On May 12, 1844 Joseph Smith gave a sermon where he shared this idea: "My enemies say I have been a true prophet. Why, I had rather be a fallen true prophet than a false prophet." :o
I have read that statement uncritically long ago, but when I recalled it and read it critically today I noticed that it contradicts a basic gospel doctrine that I have been taught since my youth. For discussions sake I'd like to ask, does anyone else notice the problems with Joseph's words: "I had rather be a fallen true prophet than a false prophet?"
To be fair, I may be misunderstanding the intent of the remark, but...

Reading, listening, or even thinking critically is considered by leaders to be detrimental to the LDS and Catholic churches, and probably some other institutions. (See Pale Riders post of "Institutional narcissism.") For me that's a read flag for those institutions. :shock:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

moksha

Re: Reading and listening critically

Post by moksha » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:06 pm

This reminds me of the self-serving claim of the Brethren speaking for God. Why do Latter-day Saints lack the discernment to see the men standing behind the curtain claiming to be the great and powerful Oz?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:47 pm

Yes. From Joseph Smith to Pres. Nelson all prophets try to keep the "curtain" (indoctrination) closed to hide the fallibility (reality) that shows their words as human ideas mingled with bible/ancient human ideas closed, and TBM's want it kept closed as well.

As an LDS I was taught as doctrine that those who sin against greater light are more sinful than those who sin out of lesser knowledge or ignorance. But here in this talk Joseph is saying he would rather be a fallen prophet- one who sins against great knowledge, than a false prophet- one who sins against little knowledge or who sins in ignorance.

It may be an insignificant point, but if Joseph had been speaking from a doctrinal viewpoint instead of merely mocking his enemies, he should have said he would rather prophesy in ignorance than in conscious opposition to truth.
Last edited by deacon blues on Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:35 pm

moksha wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:06 pm
This reminds me of the self-serving claim of the Brethren speaking for God. Why do Latter-day Saints lack the discernment to see the men standing behind the curtain claiming to be the great and powerful Oz?
Their critical thinking faculties either are undeveloped or have been circumvented. The hierarchy used some good old HeartSell(TM) on them when they were vulnerable.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:00 pm

LSOF wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:35 pm
Their critical thinking faculties either are undeveloped or have been circumvented.
And, according to BYU-I president Eyring, using them is a sin that requires repentance.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:36 pm

Meet The Real God of The Bible | Francesca Stavrakopoulou PhD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMQciYeDHU0

This might be very interesting for the NOMinees.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha