Hypocrisy

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

Hypocrisy

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:04 pm

“Forgive your brother or their remaineth in you the greater sin”

What a load of crock!

Just had a conversation with a family member who is a TBM and am amazed at the judgement.

I didn’t leave the LDS church on my own…I couldn’t. So I rebelled bad and got exed. That was my way out…my only way. Only after did I eventually see why…I was emotionally being strangled and out of self preservation I fought back.

And I’ve been judged ever since by those who say they believe in the doctrine but judge when they should love.

I guess I’m judging them by writing this. But it hurts to see this when it’s supposed to be a core doctrine.

The most disengenious people I actually know are righteous LDS men and women of God.

Of course “we don’t ask for apologies and we don’t give them “ cuz we are Gods people.

I’m feeling a bit hurt tonight and bewildered again at the hypocrisy and how righteous people (self proclaimed) are so blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hagoth

Re: Hypocrisy

Post by Hagoth » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:15 am

Rob4Hope wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:04 pm
I’m feeling a bit hurt tonight and bewildered again at the hypocrisy and how righteous people (self proclaimed) are so blind.
Sorry about that, Rob.

The value of other people seems to be inversely proportional to how holy you imagine yourself to be. Screw 'em.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:28 pm

So sorry Rob - I feel lucky in that I'm not around TBMs much so I miss a lot of that.

Just sucks though especially when it reopens wounds and I'm sorry you're having to deal with that. Feel free to vent away - this place has been such a great sounding board and I've always appreciated NOM for being there when I need to get something out but can't do it around people here.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:17 pm

You have my deepest sympathies. I'm going through something similar with my elderly TBM in-laws that are living with us right now. :roll:

You might consider sending this article from "LDS Living" to your relatives. It was written by Patrick Mason, who according to John Dehlin, has admitted that he thinks plural marriage was false doctrine and that Joseph Smith was engaged in sin. The article kind of surprised me because I think if it had been delivered 10 years ago it would never have been published and Mason would have been exed. Also, the lead-in mentions that the article has been "adapted" (read edited for content) I think is the word used, by LDS Living for the publication. This "adaptation" to make it more palatable to the 15 red seats.

https://www.ldsliving.com/why-faith-cri ... es/s/11178

I think the church is moving (slowly) towards some large changes. Over the past 15-20 years the internet has really given them a bloody nose (well deserved).

They just need 20-30 of the old leadership to die off so they can make their changes.....which of course will be too late.
Last edited by Palerider on Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:39 pm

Even though the above article comes down on the "stay faithful" side of the argument, it also makes clear there is no place for condemnation or judging of the individual who takes a different path than that sought for by the church.
If anything those who "judge" should be saying, "I don't blame you. The problems are very real. The path you have chosen is genuinely understandable. Can we still be friends?"
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:57 am

Palerider wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:39 pm
Even though the above article comes down on the "stay faithful" side of the argument, it also makes clear there is no place for condemnation or judging of the individual who takes a different path than that sought for by the church.
If anything those who "judge" should be saying, "I don't blame you. The problems are very real. The path you have chosen is genuinely understandable. Can we still be friends?"
Thanks for the great example of an empathetic response; excellent post. :D
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:42 pm

Had a small reconciliation with this person, which was overdue and most welcome.

Wanted to share the good news. But having said that, I'm also going to be on my guard for a while; these things happen too often to do otherwise.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:14 pm

In defense of the doctrine typically spouted by our mega church, we do preach forgiveness and love, and that's what I picked up from reading about Jesus, who is reportedly the one the mega church is named after (though I do admit confusion as the name is clearly the Church of Jesus Christ OF Latter-day Saints, and I'm not sure how much emphasis is meant for the last prepositional phrase). But names aside, I've definitely heard more forgiveness than condemnation preached from LDS pulpits. I think those who go ahead and condemn anyway, aren't following some basic tenets of the religion and are hypocritical.

Knowing they suck probably doesn't make their hypocrisy feel any better, though.