The Atlantic video about PH & women in the church.

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Spicy McHaggis

The Atlantic video about PH & women in the church.

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:43 pm

I haven't watched it yet but it looks interesting.

https://www.theatlantic.com/video/index ... on-church/

deacon blues

Re: The Atlantic video about PH & women in the church.

Post by deacon blues » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:43 am

Watched 10 minutes. The lady reminds me of my daughter.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:10 pm

This was great. As a father of 5 daughters, I hope for a church that can change. I also hope for eternal life on a planet of my own.

I am not holding my breath for either of them!

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:53 pm

I thought it was wonderful!

I loved how she told about her Bishop trying to man-splain Ordain Women to her. :roll:

My favorite part was when she told the woman at the end "I'm your sister." And then they let them in. That was so sweet.

I don't believe in the priesthood, but I kind of feel like I should do more support my sisters who want it. Maybe I will set up a profile on OW.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:47 pm

What struck me was the woman crony from the COB on the Radio West interview:
"This is a church of change. That change does not occur because someone has petitioned or lobbied for it. The change occurs because God prescribes it to be so. One can not use a mortal lens to assert what is best."
She may as well have been reading from a teleprompter. Statements like that really paint the COB in a corner; factual evidence of past significant changes made by the COB that were not based on revelation, but based on social issues or situations (e.g. Blacks and the Priesthood, Church assets held by the Feds until Polygamy was banned, etc.)

Great video!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:42 am

I am in the middle of watching this, but I had to pause with the realization that all non-Mormons who view this will think the Church is incredibly cultic. I don't know if the non-Mormon viewers will sympathize with the plight of these women or suggest they get deprogramming help.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:11 am

Finish watching it and was happy for the upbeat ending. While these women are still denied the priesthood, at least the sweet Mormon mother is off the hotplate of excommunication. Maybe her daughters or granddaughters will be free of gender discrimination in the Church or maybe not.

When you are in a place that will beat you if you do not wear a burqa, perhaps it is better to put it on and cross your fingers that Allah will someday cause the hearts of male Muslim clerics to be merciful.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:52 am

moksha wrote:I am in the middle of watching this, but I had to pause with the realization that all non-Mormons who view this will think the Church is incredibly cultic. I don't know if the non-Mormon viewers will sympathize with the plight of these women or suggest they get deprogramming help.
Those are my thoughts as well. I would think an outsider would look at this and think the church is a cult.

shadow

Post by shadow » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:12 pm

Just watched the video. Man, that brings back a lot of painful memories.

My faith transition has been a long process. I've had problems with certain church history issues for a really long time, and I've added to the doctrinal shelf with historical issues over time, but what ultimately turned me off was cultural issues. I had a really big problem with Prop 8. I was living in the midwest at the time, so while I didn't like the church's position on gay marriage, I didn't experience any direct action by the church. Just terrible comments from local members that made going to church pretty miserable, but I endured. (Not sure that's what enduring to the end is supposed to mean.)

Prop 8 definitely harmed my commitment to the church, looking back, I think the church's response to Ordain Women was the final nail in my spiritual coffin. While I probably didn't expect anything different, I think deep down I was holding out a last shred of hope that maybe revelation was real and that we should receive at least some sort of answer from our prophet to sincere questions.

My hopes were dashed and any last shred of legitimacy was gone. The official church response was cold and disingenuous. The response from average members was truly disheartening. I really felt like there was no more place for someone like me in the church. This feeling of alienation extended to my marriage, where my wife was opposed to any action or sympathy with Ordain Women.

Despite all of this, I continued (and still continue) to attend church for the sake of my marriage, but I now fully see the emperors new clothes. That's why I was just as much outraged at the November policy, but hardly surprised. Combining this with recent geopolitics, I really do have an unhealthy level of cynicism in my life.
"Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creates to the feast of Creation." --Wendell Berry

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:34 pm

I thought this was a great documentary. I didn't realise they were able to sit in on a priesthood meeting, probably a general priesthood meeting viewed at her local ward or stake.
One thing I noticed in Oaks talk was he said women are not ordained to the priesthood and they do not hold the priesthood. I'm reminded of a talk by elder Nelson in the last few year explaining how women are not ordained but that they have priesthood power. Whatever that is. How can you have priesthood power but not the priesthood? Everyone always explains the priesthood differently because nobody really knows what the hell it is.
~2bizE