Tithing settlement....or whatever they call it now.

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Just This Guy

Re: Tithing settlement....or whatever they call it now.

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:15 am

Izhmash wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:20 pm
So just a little question here. How would you respond when someone inevitably says "the leaders of the church will be held responsible for how they use the funds. We are just responsible to pay our tithing."
The scriptures say to tithe to build the kingdom of god on earth. Since the LDSInc. leadership is not using tithes to build the kingdom of God, only building their investment portfolio, then my tithing is not doing what it should be used for. So by knowingly contributing to someone who is not using it properly, I am not paying tithing as commanded. I am the sinner for not following the commandments.

Last I checked, God doesn't like it when you blame some else for your in-action. Ignorance is one thing, but I can't see God being okay with someone knowing that they are not following a commandment and doing it any way.

So for me to follow the commandment to tithe to build the kingdom of God, it is my responsibility to title to organizations that do help the needy, comfort the sick, feed the hungry, etc. I know that my tithes go to the mission of Jesus when I donate to a food bank or a Shriner's Hospital.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

malkie

Re: Tithing settlement....or whatever they call it now.

Post by malkie » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:42 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:15 am
Izhmash wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:20 pm
So just a little question here. How would you respond when someone inevitably says "the leaders of the church will be held responsible for how they use the funds. We are just responsible to pay our tithing."
The scriptures say to tithe to build the kingdom of god on earth. Since the LDSInc. leadership is not using tithes to build the kingdom of God, only building their investment portfolio, then my tithing is not doing what it should be used for. So by knowingly contributing to someone who is not using it properly, I am not paying tithing as commanded. I am the sinner for not following the commandments.

Last I checked, God doesn't like it when you blame some else for your in-action. Ignorance is one thing, but I can't see God being okay with someone knowing that they are not following a commandment and doing it any way.

So for me to follow the commandment to tithe to build the kingdom of God, it is my responsibility to title to organizations that do help the needy, comfort the sick, feed the hungry, etc. I know that my tithes go to the mission of Jesus when I donate to a food bank or a Shriner's Hospital.
According to the LDS GAs you don't need to concern yourself about what the church leaders, especially the prophet, tell you to do.

If the leader is wrong, you'll still be blessed for following their incorrect ideas.

So, please return to your regularly scheduled practice of sending your money to the LDS investment portfolio - god loves an uncritical follower :)
aka malkie