The Great Apostasy didn’t really happen according to new Maxwell Institute book.

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Re: The Great Apostasy didn’t really happen according to new Maxwell Institute book.

Post by Hagoth » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:31 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:35 am
...but it's amazing to watch the church's core doctrines just implode the moment you allow scholarship to enter the conversation.
It's a mess, because the church's primary core doctrine comes OUT OF the apostasy. The entire theological structure is built around the idea of the literal fall of Adam and introduction of death and the redemption from death and the fall by the literal resurrection of Jesus. That seems like a pretty no-brainer, clear cut, everyday Christian concept, but it was invented by Augustine of Hippo in the 4th century - prime Great Apostasy temporal real estate.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Re: The Great Apostasy didn’t really happen according to new Maxwell Institute book.

Post by 2bizE » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:51 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:35 am
It's crazy that this is coming from the Maxwell Institute because as has already been said in the thread, if you take this one step further the entire need for Mormonism crumbles and undercuts Joseph Smith's First Vision claims as well.

Not that most members will ever read the book, but it's amazing to watch the church's core doctrines just implode the moment you allow scholarship to enter the conversation.
If I’m not mistaken, methinks this is the kind of scholarly work that BYU is requesting of their professors as was announced recently. This type of scholarship could create havoc in the church.
~2bizE

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:25 pm

I would not be surprised if GA-15 guy went down and, like McConkie in days of yore, set the record straight. But I could be wrong. :roll:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:42 am

I just saw that Spencer Fluhman is stepping down as director of the Maxwell Institute in May. I doubt this is directly related to this book or any of the other situations, but he must look forward to not having the pressure on him from having to stand between the fundamentalism in the church and the need to be academic.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:48 pm

blazerb wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:42 am
I just saw that Spencer Fluhman is stepping down as director of the Maxwell Institute in May. I doubt this is directly related to this book or any of the other situations, but he must look forward to not having the pressure on him from having to stand between the fundamentalism in the church and the need to be academic.
I can't imagine anything more exhausting than trying to be an actual scholar while working for people who care nothing about actual scholarship because they are really in the business of disseminating propaganda.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:17 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:48 pm
I can't imagine anything more exhausting than trying to be an actual scholar while working for people who care nothing about actual scholarship because they are really in the business of disseminating propaganda.
....and making money.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington