LDS tax exemption to go away?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
20/20hind

LDS tax exemption to go away?

Post by 20/20hind » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:51 am

Corsair

Re: LDS tax exemption to go away?

Post by Corsair » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:16 am

The LDS church has three weapons against a change in tax exemption. First, there is the longstanding tradition against taxing churches in American jurisprudence and English Common Law. Second, as much as the LDS church annoys other Christian denominations, I am confident that other churches would lobby in our favor if tax exemption were on the line. This is a change that could affect every other church if just one church loses the tax break. The third bulwark is the well-founded legal counsel that the church retains, Kirton and McConkie. These guys will take on this challenge as possibly their most important fight in defense of the LDS church.

Still, the increasing growth of secularization in the United States could change this. But it's still a generation away at best.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:54 am

I agree. It would open the door to doing the same for the churches that give all of those Republican legislators their claim to superiority over the heathen world.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:20 am

What I really would like to see is a law that would require all tax exempt entities, religious or otherwise, to be fully transparent with their finances. It would present a very clear choice: reveal your finances or pay taxes. I don't see how any faithful member of a religion could have a serious argument with this. If you believe your church is honest and reputable there should be no anxiety about having them show what they do with their members' and donors' money. The old it's-God's-money-so-you-don't-have-the-right-to-question argument would be moot.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Vlad the Emailer

Post by Vlad the Emailer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:30 am

Kind of like the October surprise, if there is something there, it has to all be uncovered completely and brought to light in the right way. For instance, that $120,000 is indeed a relatively modest sum compared to other "corporate execs", but what about the houses(s)? Who paid for/is paying for them? How much of that 120K do they actually spend on themselves, or is everything provided for and the 10K/mo is just gravy? What about money they receive to chair all those subsidiary companies? I sincerely doubt it is part of the 120K.

A TBM in the comments made the point that when these details come to light, the facts are not a problem and end up being faith promoting. That's fine, but I can't help but wonder if those are all the facts.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest. - Anonymous

Say what you want about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying. - Kurt Vonnegut

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:46 am

Vlad the emailer wrote:A TBM in the comments made the point that when these details come to light, the facts are not a problem and end up being faith promoting. That's fine, but I can't help but wonder if those are all the facts.
Let's just think about this Corporation's past history of "Honesty".

Based on that history, there's no way "those are all the facts".
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

fh451

Post by fh451 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:49 pm

I would be surprised if this amounted to anything. While I would really love for the church (and all religious organizations, for that matter) to be required to be financially transparent in order to receive tax-exempt status, it's probably a ways off. Maybe a massive scandal would do it (not necessarily LDS), but religions have thus far been remarkably resilient against these kinds of threats.

As a matter of fact, I would really like them to not have tax-exempt status at all except for what can be proven charitable work. A guy can dream.

fh451

20/20hind

Post by 20/20hind » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:06 pm

The article brings up the church being charged with election fraud, 13 counts of it and ended up having to pay a fine. I had never heard of that before. I believe religious organizations that not only endorse, or actively participate in a polical arena should be transparent in their financials. They actively pursue legislation against LGBT rights. I think it will be years before they disclose financial info but it's the right thing to do. Which means they will fight it to the end

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:21 pm

If the church were to lose its tax exempt status, would that mean all US tithe payers would no longer get to claim their tithing as charitable contribution?
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:22 am

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:40 am

In the Netherlands all Churches neet to file fully transparent reports to maintain their tax-exemption.
Needless to say the report the Church publishes online are woefully inadequate compare to the
- Jehovah´s Witnesses
- Dutch Reformed Church
- Catholic Dioceses

So the Church might run into some issues.........
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

document

Post by document » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:26 pm

I'm on the board of a few non-profits. We are audited quite often by the IRS and our state in order to maintain our tax exemption status. I've always assumed churches are audited regularly as well. To the state, we have to prove that we are paying our state sales tax appropriately (we raise money through selling books). The IRS, we have to show the fruits of our labor and show that we meet the criteria for tax exemption.

Are the bars just set lower for churches than secular non-profits? I just always assumed that churches are audited as well.

Heck, I'm going to ask our treasurer of our church corporation tonight. I'm seeing him, he's been there for over 20 years. If our little book room is audited regularly (twice in the last five years) I'm sure they would have been.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:28 am

The world's largest cable-television company is refusing to broadcast ads soliciting information targeting the LDS Church's tax-exempt status because the activist behind the spots cannot provide documentation of the faith's financial holdings.
http://www.sltrib.com/home/4812171-155/ ... nt-air-ads
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Vlad the Emailer

Post by Vlad the Emailer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:44 pm

It's crap like this from the Tribune article that are the reason the corp keeps winning the battles and, so far, the war:
Karger acknowledged at his Tuesday news conference he had no scholarly reference for the sexual-abuse assertions, but said he has heard stories from "dozens" of former Mormons who allege they were molested or assaulted by perpetrators associated with the church.
"I've heard stories"??? Really?

I wouldn't doubt for a minute that the corp applied pressure to get Comcast to change it's mind, as is alleged, but without meaningful, verifiable back up, the whole thing ends up being nothing more than faith promoting "anti-Mormon persecution" that does more harm than good.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest. - Anonymous

Say what you want about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying. - Kurt Vonnegut