Queermisia and the Great Apostasy

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
LSOF

Queermisia and the Great Apostasy

Post by LSOF » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:31 pm

Mormons believe that the Mormon church is the legitimate continuation of the church established by Jesus, Peter, and friends in the first century. They also believe that a Great Apostasy took place in the decades after Jesus' departure and the Apostles' deaths. They also believe that Paul, as a true Apostle of Christ, freed Christians from the obligation to obey Jewish law.

Now, here is where it gets interesting. The Roman emperors Theodosius and Valentinian made gender-variant and homosexual behaviour capital crimes in the fourth century CE. You will note that this is long after the Gospel had perished from the Old World, and well into the Era of Apostasy.

Let us now reason, in the light of the foregoing facts. Since queer people have existed for hundreds of thousands of years and no culture had a problem with that until the fourth century; since Jesus said nothing whatsoever about it; since Paul freed Christuans from Jewish law (though he personally found queerness distasteful)–could we not conclude that queermisia is an apostate doctrine?
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

Hagoth

Re: Queermisia and the Great Apostasy

Post by Hagoth » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:36 am

Brilliant.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Re: Queermisia and the Great Apostasy

Post by moksha » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:12 pm

I had to look this up: Queermisia can be defined as an aversion, hatred, or mistrust of people who are, or appear to be, any sexual identity other than heterosexual.

LSOF thinks oppressive and murderous behavior stems from The Roman emperors Theodosius and Valentinian, but I think this was simply a restoration of Satan's will or perhaps Morgoth's in the First Age.

Vlad Tepes (Dracula) of Romania also championed this restoration before the Brethren got a hold of it.

Overcoming this hatred is a clear test that has been given to the Saints. Most will not make it, but listening to that still small voice of their conscience can help to overcome a mountain of intolerance that has been taught to them.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha