Church's rainy day safety net

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Palerider

Church's rainy day safety net

Post by Palerider » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:05 pm

I was listening to some New Testament commentary today and the narrator happened to quote the following scripture. It hit like a ton of bricks when I related it to the vast amount of wealth that the church has accumulated and their sorry a$$ed excuse that they need it for a "rainy day".

Matt: 6:19-21

"19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

I think I know where the church's heart is on this issue. They should be ashamed. :oops:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Cnsl1

Re: Church's rainy day safety net

Post by Cnsl1 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:10 pm

Amen

Amen

And AMEN!!

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:38 am

Unfortunately, Brigham Young and most of the Church will take a modern 'prophet' over an ancient Messiah. :oops: :(
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:53 am

Palerider wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:05 pm
I think I know where the church's heart is on this issue. They should be ashamed. :oops:
Some guy who should have "Hypocritical Piece of Sh*t" tattooed across his forehead said this:
"The white-collar cousin of stealing is fraud, which gets its gain by lying about an essential fact in a transaction. Scheming promoters with glib tongues and ingratiating manners deceive their neighbors into investments the promoters know to be more speculative than they dare reveal. Difficulties of proof make fraud a hard crime to enforce. But the inadequacies of the laws of man provide no license for transgression under the laws of God. Though their method of thievery may be immune from correction in this life, sophisticated thieves in white shirts and ties will ultimately be seen and punished for what they are. He who presides over that Eternal Tribunal knows our secret acts, and he is 'a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."
-Dallin H. Oaks
This tells me that either Oaks believes he can rob God and get away with it, or that he doesn't really believe any of his own BS about an Eternal Tribunal and hides his own deceit behind lofty, godly language.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:34 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:53 am
This tells me that either Oaks believes he can rob God and get away with it, or that he doesn't really believe any of his own BS about an Eternal Tribunal and hides his own deceit behind lofty, godly language.
Why not both?

The adequacies of the laws of profits, provide a license for transgression under most of the laws of this nation. The rich and powerful are the descerners of the thoughts and intents of the commoners, enabling the methods of their thievery.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:07 pm

The Brethren got caught up with serving Mammon. I suppose it is possible they might announce a way to serve God with that money in the April General Conference, but there is no way we will hear an apology. We will have to wait and see. Mammon might still hold sway with these fifteen leaders.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:43 am

moksha wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:07 pm
The Brethren got caught up with serving Mammon. I suppose it is possible they might announce a way to serve God with that money in the April General Conference, but there is no way we will hear an apology. We will have to wait and see. Mammon might still hold sway with these fifteen leaders.
They could always build more temples the great god Mammon. Those are fabulous buildings that exist mainly to make you look rich, look like you are growing when you are really shrinking, and just happen to have the result of squeezing even more money out of the local population. Mammon loves that kinda sh*t and commands his senators in congress to make sure you will only pay the minimum fine if you get caught cooking the books.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:31 pm

I'm learning that building needless temples is a good way to spend some of the excess tithing dollars and help to ensure the tithing donations continue to pour in.

BUT, the Church does NOT spend more than it takes in, so there are still millions (if not a billion) excess AFTER building needless temples, which is money that goes to Ensign Peak where it is wisely invested into even MORE money. And, as we recently discovered, all this excess was not so wisely and certainly illegally hidden through shell corporations. Thank you, whistle blowers.

Shame on you, first presidency and presiding bishopric.

Shove the bullshit explanation letter up your arse. The matter is not closed. Let's get a real apology from the real people who authorized this great fraud. The Mormon people are pretty damn nice people. We'll probably forgive you if you say you're sorry and make some amends and retributions.

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:38 pm

"Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?" "Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments." "Which ones?" he inquired. Jesus replied, " 'You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, honor your father and mother,'and 'love your neighbor as yourself.'" "All these I have kept," the young man said. "What do I still lack?" Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Notice that Come, Follow Me happens AFTER you have sold all that you have and given to the poor. Once again the church has their cart firmly in front of their horse.

-lost