The verdict is in... the Book of Mormon is true!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

The verdict is in... the Book of Mormon is true!

Post by Hagoth » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:11 pm

At least according to Bing Chat AI!

I asked it to consider the archaeological, zoological, botanical, linguistic, literary, and genetic evidence and tell me what is the likelihood that the Book of Mormon is a true story. It gave me a few paragraphs of general discussion and concluded with:
"Thousands of hours of research have produced the current blossoming of Book of Mormon studies that bless the lives of Latter-day Saints. They cannot be lightly brushed aside. The conclusion of the matter is that much modern evidence supports the more powerful witness of the Holy Ghost that the Book of Mormon is true."
I noticed that most of the most of the references cited churchofjesuschrist.org, fairlatterdaysaints.org, and bookofmormoncentral.org

How heavily has the church invested in Microsoft???
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Re: The verdict is in... the Book of Mormon is true!

Post by wtfluff » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:51 pm

Wow.

So Holy the Ghost can "bear witness" to Bing Chat AI?

Maybe Bing Chat AI has been fasting, praying, and paying 15% tithing so the Ghost constantly dwelleth within it's circuitry?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:44 pm

The wise, old saying still holds true:

"Garbage in....garbage out..." :|
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:05 am

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:51 pm
Wow.

So Holy the Ghost can "bear witness" to Bing Chat AI?

Maybe Bing Chat AI has been fasting, praying, and paying 15% tithing so the Ghost constantly dwelleth within it's circuitry?
Maybe Bing Chat AI has several shell companies, hiding the donations it received from lds.corp.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:15 am

This reminds me of the dude on Twitter that said he asked Chat GPT to write the Book of Mormon with a whole ton of prerequisites and Chat GPT said they couldn't do it so the only conclusion therefore is that the BoM is true and joseph could've never written it.
Palerider wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:44 pm
The wise, old saying still holds true:

"Garbage in....garbage out..." :|
This is exactly it!

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:33 am

We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:39 am

I don't know any specifics on how ChatGPT work, so this is a guess.

When asked a question, the software does a web search based on the critera provided. IT looks at the first few websites to some up to see if the info meet's it's critera. Once it has enough info, it goes onto the next part of the program to generate the answer. Because of this, the results are going to be based on what pops up on top. We know that LDSinc. does a lot to stay on top of search engine results. So what ChatGPT comes up with is based n the SEO of what is is searching for.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:38 am

Maybe we're missing the point.

Has anyone asked Bing Chat AI what It's definition of True™ is? :shock:

(Also: Maybe tell It to ignore sources from LD$-Inc.)

Edit: Also Hagoth: If you remember the exact question you asked Bing Chat AI, you should try posing the same question to ChatGPT. Scientifically speaking, it would be fun to compare results from "competing" AI chat-bots.
ChatBotOverlords.jpg
ChatBotOverlords.jpg (46.67 KiB) Viewed 893 times
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

sparky

Post by sparky » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:11 am

Good example of why AI isn't going to improve humanity or make people more informed. Just even easier to confirm your biases because AI will have an unearned air of authority

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:19 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:11 pm
How heavily has the church invested in Microsoft???
I think Microsoft and Apple are the two top stocks owned by the Church. Tesla is way down on the list with only over a half billion owned.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha