Miracles that sustain my doubts.

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

Miracles that sustain my doubts.

Post by deacon blues » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:56 pm

I recently was at bookstore and picked up a book on old historic adobe Salt Lake houses. Imagine my feelings when I randomly opened the book at home this afternoon and found a chapter about a house that Sarah Pratt, the apostate wife of Orson Pratt, had lived in. :o
It reminded me of the time some twelve years ago when I was watching, on my old untrustworthy computer, a site critical of the LDS Church and the computer kept freezing up. 10 seconds- stop, 5 seconds- stop. this went on for maybe 10 stops. I said a little prayer, and then restarted the podcast, and it ran flawlessly through the next 30 minutes to the end of the program. :D
How can this be explained? 8-)
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Re: Miracles that sustain my doubts.

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:37 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:56 pm
I recently was at bookstore and picked up a book on old historic adobe Salt Lake houses. Imagine my feelings when I randomly opened the book at home this afternoon and found a chapter about a house that Sarah Pratt, the apostate wife of Orson Pratt, had lived in. :o
Other doubt sustaining miracles include that some of the biggest casualties of the Magna earthquake were Moroni dropping his trumpet and the historic home of a prominent Mormon polygamist - one of one of those adobe houses you're talking about. It was the second oldest surviving adobe structure in Utah (up to that date) and the only building demolished as result of the earthquake.

Here's a 3D drone model I made of it at the request of the Utah State Historic Preservation Office just before it was torn down due to earthquake damage. Not that this particularly relates to the topic, but I thought you'd enjoy it if you're interested enough in adobe houses to buy a book about them. It looks like brick, but that is only the exterior veneer:

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/septimu ... 0e6c2bcc83
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."