What's the point of Oaks sucking up?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
AdmiralHoldo

What's the point of Oaks sucking up?

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:45 am

His place in line is assured. All Oaks has to do to inherit the big chair is not die. Why does it matter if he crushes his water bottles for recycling or not?

2bizE

Re: What's the point of Oaks sucking up?

Post by 2bizE » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:39 pm

By him sucking up to RMN perpetuates the ritual of sucking up to the prophet, which he will want members and leaders to do to him if he doesn’t die before RMN.
~2bizE

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:43 pm

The idea of sucking up to leadership MUST be reinforced to inferiors so that when it's Oaks' turn, no one will dare give him grief. It's the "get in line" principle. "I did it....you do it."

This is the way the church operates and avoids the huge messes created when members gave Joseph Smith crap on the Kirtland Banking Society and polygamy. He lost half the church back then.

So following the leader without question has to be shored up, no matter what level you're at.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:46 pm

AdmiralHoldo wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:45 am
His place in line is assured. All Oaks has to do to inherit the big chair is not die. Why does it matter if he crushes his water bottles for recycling or not?
I was thinking the same thing recently. All Oaks has to do is wait for Elmohim to kill Rusty, and he attains CEO status.

I guess other folks below oaks in the hierarchy suck-up so that they might get called as a counselor when hOaks reaches the top step??
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:20 am

Now is the time for Deseret Book to be compiling Oaks quotes to make life easier for future Conference speakers.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:21 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:20 am
Now is the time for Deseret Book to be compiling Oaks quotes to make life easier for future Conference speakers.
Man, ain't that the truth. I almost get the impression conference speakers are contractually obligated to some required minimum number of Nelson quotes. In a few years they will abruptly stop quoting Nelson in conference talks and start quoting oaks instead. It's in the contract.

That is, if Oaks outlives Nelson. He was looking very old this time around while Nelson continues in perpetual Mr. Burns mode. I can only imagine what that portrait in his attic must look like by now.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:01 pm

AdmiralHoldo wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:45 am
Until he gets the big chair, he is still vulnerable. Look at how GBH smacked down RMN or how RMN smacked down DFU. He may be next in line, but RMN can still make the time he has left difficult for DHO. I don't know if they can get rid of him, but they can limit his exposure and and ability to push through his pet projects.

It is interesting to look at DFU. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he seams to have nearly disappeared. He went from being the popular silver fox to being forced into the background.

RMN does seam to be all about people sucking up to him. Does make you wonder what he has to offer to make it worth while to everyone?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:54 pm

As I get older I realize I'm a slave to my habits. I'm not as old as Pres. Oaks, but I think he just sucks up from habit. :roll:

Something else. I recall Bro. Brigham saying it was time for the younger elders to pay their dues and go out on missions. He misinterpreted a parable of Jesus by saying, "We old men have already suffered the heat of the day." And now it is your turn.
Well now Oaks can say, "I was a suck-up, now if you want to be a president you have to suck up too.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

alas

Post by alas » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:55 am

There is the possibility that he believes that Rusty talks with God on a daily basis, and instead of false sucking up, it is honest worship. Which I think is worse.