Hungry, Hungry 'Hovah

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Hungry, Hungry 'Hovah

Post by Hagoth » Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:50 pm

In his interview with John Dehlin, Steve Hassan mentioned that he believes in God, but not the "hangry" god with a beard who dwells in the clouds.

What a brilliant one-word summary of the God of the Old Testament.

Most of his viciousness and smitery was a reaction to people not killing enough animals to feed his appetite, going all the way back to Cain whose vegetable offering was rejected because there was no blood in it. When Jehovah smelled the "sweet savor" of burning flesh he was happy and did nice things for people, but when denied meat he really got pissed off and started smiting. The main job of his Levite priests was to kill, dismember, and burn animals to keep Yahweh happy. And if anyone gave dead animals to another god, lookout!

Yahweh came to earth as Jesus and became friendly and loving. He had plenty to eat as a mortal. He enjoyed fish, bread, honey, wheat, wine... Some of his central stories were about handing out copious amounts of fish, bread and wine. He was famous for dining even with sinners. His last fling was a special meal for his friends.

Then he died, got hangry, and went back to his old ways. He wiped out whole cities in the Americas because they didn't believe in him and, presumably, because they weren't turning sloths, coatimundis, and tapirs into the sweet savor that soothed is inner beast.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

dogbite

Re: Hungry, Hungry 'Hovah

Post by dogbite » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:52 pm

The kids game was a great illustration, 'hovas flapping their robes to snag those marbles.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:30 pm

I imagine the priests truly appreciated the sacrifice of those animals upon the barbeque altar. No roast corn or potatoes to go with that because of the New World thing.

Yeah, what's with pushing the worship of an angry and petulant God? Give us a God who advocates for Love rather than Obedience. Obedience sounds like something the LDS Brethren desire.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:41 pm

:lol: hangry :lol:

Reminds me of a funny joke - cats bring dead animals not out of praise, but to teach humans how to hunt. The ancient God was there to win wars - give him dead animals, show how killing is done.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:33 am

What would you like to drink J. Hova?

MEAT!!!!!!!!!!
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin