Method Infinite

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
felixfabulous

Method Infinite

Post by felixfabulous » Fri May 05, 2023 7:44 am

I've been meaning to read Method Infinite for a while and I'm about 3/4 through. Has anyone read it? I'm in front of a screen all day for I like to listen to books. I bought it on Kindle and then the Alexa app will read it to you. It's a little clumsy, but generally works well. Some things that stood out to me:

1. The Danites as a masonic organization that was set up to give JS plausible deniability and a vigilante group bound with oaths, secret signs, etc.

2. The development of the temple ritual in Nauvoo meant to build on the masonic ritual, trying to make literal what was figurative.

3. They give some detailed descriptions of the set up of the attic of the Nauvoo temple for the endowments. If you do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHY22v4NZk4 (minute 8) they do a virtual tour of the attic, it helps to visualize the set up and how it all would have looked. William Clayton's description is very detailed especially when you can see the number of the arches, etc.

Ghost

Re: Method Infinite

Post by Ghost » Fri May 05, 2023 9:23 am

This is the first Mormon-themed book I've bought in a long time. It's on my shelf but I haven't started it yet. Two other books that contributed a lot to my understanding of temple history and symbolism:

The Mysteries of Godliness by David John Buerger
Duncan's Ritual of Freemasonry by Malcolm C. Duncan

The latter, of course, has nothing do do with Mormonism, but at the same time it absolutely does.

Hagoth

Re: Method Infinite

Post by Hagoth » Fri May 05, 2023 12:02 pm

Ghost wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 9:23 am
Duncan's Ritual of Freemasonry by Malcolm C. Duncan
For example (some details left out):
Page 59: ...leads him forward to the door of the Lodge; and upon arriving there he gives three raps.
Page 60:
-Brother Gabe, who been regularly initiated Initiated as Entered Apprentice, and now wishes to receive more light in Masonry...
-By what further right, or benefit, does he expect to gain admission?
-By the benefit of a pass.
-Has he that pass?
-He has not, but I have it for him.
-Deacon whispers in the Senior Deacon's ear the password, "Shibboleth."
-Let him enter...
Page 64-65: I, Peter Gage, of my own free will and accord, in the presence of Almighty God, and in this worshipful Lodge... most solemnly and sincerely promise and swear that I will always hail, and ever conceal, and never reveal nay of the secret arts, parts, or points of the Fellow Craft Degree to any person whatsoever, except it be to a true and lawful brother of this degree... under no less penalty than having my breast torn open ,my heart plucked out and placed on the highest pinnacle of the temple, there to be devoured by vultures.
Page 68-69: Warden takes hold of candidate by the right hand, and places his thumb on the first joint of the candidate's hand...
-What is that?
-The real grip of a fellow craft.
-Has it a name?
-It has.
-Will you give it me?
-I did not so receive it, neither can I impart it.
Also describes other familiar handshakes and penalties, the Five Points of Fellowship, the Holy of Holies in the temple, uses the words "curious workmanship," the symbol of the beehive, clothing yourself at a certain point in the ceremony, including an apron.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."