The Great God Tom Phillips

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

The Great God Tom Phillips

Post by Hagoth » Sat May 13, 2023 4:09 pm

It occurred to me that since Tom Phillips has had the second anointing, he has passed the ultimate test of his mortal probation and he is guaranteed to be a god in the next life, provided he can avoid murdering an innocent person in the decade or so he has left on this planet.

I was wondering if it would be appropriate to start worshipping him, but then I realized that would be the same as worshipping Ba'al or some other alternative god. But if I did so, I would in fact be worshipping an actual god of sorts, which means that polytheism is a legitimate concept in the Mormon worldview. The only reason people don't worship other REAL gods is that they don't know who the other REAL gods in the cosmos are. They only know the fake gods of earthly "paganism."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Angel

Re: The Great God Tom Phillips

Post by Angel » Sun May 14, 2023 3:34 pm

On earth as it is in heaven.

In heaven as it is on earth.

If there are spirits out there, seems there is no "all-powerful" spirit, just different kings, queens, presidents - different countries and groups as it is on the earth. No God's at all - just spirits, just people, just animals, plants, none perfect, none all-powerful.

What is it called -someone who doesn't believe in gods, but does believe in spirits?
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun May 14, 2023 6:58 pm

Angel wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 3:34 pm

What is it called -someone who doesn't believe in gods, but does believe in spirits?
A ghosthunter!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon May 15, 2023 5:57 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 6:58 pm
Angel wrote:

A ghosthunter!
So, belief in the paranormal. I do kind of have that. Not something I like to admit to, but there it is.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon May 15, 2023 9:09 pm

Angel wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 5:57 am
Hagoth wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 6:58 pm
Angel wrote:

A ghosthunter!
So, belief in the paranormal. I do kind of have that. Not something I like to admit to, but there it is.
Maybe you're more of a Ghostbuster.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue May 16, 2023 8:08 am

I'm going with Frank Zappa...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olp0JGIFMic
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu May 18, 2023 4:13 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:08 am
I'm going with Frank Zappa...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olp0JGIFMic
And I happen to know for certain that his temple work was done shortly after he died. How do I transfer to the universe he presides over?