So many Holes in the gospel, so few explanations.

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

So many Holes in the gospel, so few explanations.

Post by deacon blues » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:08 am

Critically analyzing the gospel (yeah I know we're not suppose to do that!) has a price. It doesn't add up!
The ultimate goal is to be like God and get a planet and raise a crop of other potential Gods. Well, at least the that used be the goal. :roll: If so, why are so many literally unable to fulfill that goal? At least in this life? (Isn't that what this life is for??????)
The ideal guy or girl grows up, chooses the right, has kids who all, or perhaps mostly remain faithful, and so on.
BUT WHAT ABOUT ALL THOSE WHO CAN'T DO THIS BECAUSE:
1. They are born physically lacking, ranging from quadriplegics to sterile people to LGBT's (At least lacking in 'LDS God's' eyes.)
2. They are born mentally lacking, ranging from social inadequacies (bad breath? :? seriously, its a thing.), to inability to earn a sustainable living on their own, to severe mental limitations.
The list could go on and on, but my point is, 'LDS God' designed this plan, and so many situations come down to, "Well God will fix that in the next life."
Couldn't one of the prophets step it up a little and give us more to go on than this? :(
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Re: So many Holes in the gospel, so few explanations.

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:55 am

God fixes it in the end for those people.

The only ones he doesn't fix it for are those born and raised in the church. They are held to the highest standard and are almost guaranteed to fall short of the goal and be denied godhood, except for the lucky few who get to be in the Second Anointed club (all men whose wives are allowed to come along for the ride). They also get all the girls.

If you want to be a god, your best bet is to be born in the slums of Calcutta and die from violence or a horrible disease before you turn 8, having never heard of Jesus or Joseph Smith. Then you go to paradise and get taught by missionary ghosts who probably won't make it to the Celestial Kingdom themselves, and have your saving ordinances performed on earth by people who you will never see in the Celestial Kingdom either because they didn't devote enough of their time doing ordinances in the temple.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:58 am

How important can it possibly be to accept the restored (or original) gospel in this life, when you consider that of all the people who have ever lived, the number who have had any sort of chance is too small to even be called a rounding error?

Same with the "urgency" of temple work, especially if you're not a young-Earth creationist. (I guess Mormons are kind of supposed to be, though I don't know how much that really comes up anymore outside of that one seminary bookmark, unless you count Russell M. Nelson's occasional statements against evolution.)

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:44 am

Ghost wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:58 am
How important can it possibly be to accept the restored (or original) gospel in this life, when you consider that of all the people who have ever lived, the number who have had any sort of chance is too small to even be called a rounding error?
Here's one way to look at it. Only the least valiant spirits are born into the church. The other 99.9% were strong enough in the pre-existence to earn some status and prove that they don't need constant babysitting to deal with the harsh realities of mortality, and just need to get the physical body and human experience.

But the really fragile and unmotivated spirits, who were lackluster in the first estate, had to be placed in an environment where they could be constantly reminded exactly what to believe, spoon-fed daily lists of rules to keep them in line, bombarded with motivational speeches about how much better they are than everybody else, given endless meetings and beautiful temples where they could take refuge from the big bad world, and surrounded by a tribe of busybodies to herd them back into the fold whenever they lost focus. And still very few of them will make the CK grade.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:29 pm

Went to church today. Pretty good meeting I thought, for fast meeting. No obnoxious kiddies sing-songing how they "know the church is true". Not one.

Lady got up and said that she had been doubting the church's truthfulness. I knew this lady well and was surprised to hear her say that....but it was just a set up. She starting getting emotional and told us that she could not and would not doubt the truthfulness of the church. (sigh) Went on to do the routine testimony, same 'ol same 'ol.

Turned to my wife and showed her a quote I had on my phone from Mark Twain, "No truth can stand against a person who is determined to believe a lie". My wife looked at me in bewilderment- but sure as God made them little green apples, I'd say anyone reading this knows exactly what the Twain quote means and how it applied to the lady's testimony. Oh well, bless her heart. Fine by me if she believes in the church.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

hiding in plain sight

Post by hiding in plain sight » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:17 am

If you take mormon doctrine literally, then the majority of those who are in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom will be kids who died before the age of accountability (whatever that means) and fetuses who were aborted or miscarriages.

All of those get a straight pass to heaven.

For most of human history 40%(ish) of kids died in childhood. Diseases (pre vaccines) and accidents.

Plus 10% to 20% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage.

That's billions in the CK.

How many of the current 17 million mormons will make it?????? 100,000????? 1 million?????

Peanuts compared to the other two lists.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:21 am

hiding in plain sight wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:17 am
If you take mormon doctrine literally, then the majority of those who are in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom will be kids who died before the age of accountability (whatever that means) and fetuses who were aborted or miscarriages.

All of those get a straight pass to heaven.

For most of human history 40%(ish) of kids died in childhood. Diseases (pre vaccines) and accidents.

Plus 10% to 20% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage.

That's billions in the CK.

How many of the current 17 million mormons will make it?????? 100,000????? 1 million?????

Peanuts compared to the other two lists.
Taking HIPS above maths into account also proves that polygamy literally can't be possible in the afterlife.

Looking at the gender ration of human births - there are more male humans than female humans born.

The vast majority of dead humans getting a ticket to Super VIP Heaven means there will be more males than females. Is there a super-secret lower-level in Super VIP Heaven where Elmohim sends all of the Lost Boys?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:55 am

deacon blues wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:08 am
Critically analyzing the gospel (yeah I know we're not suppose to do that!) has a price. It doesn't add up!
The ultimate goal is to be like God and get a planet and raise a crop of other potential Gods. Well, at least the that used be the goal. :roll: If so, why are so many literally unable to fulfill that goal? At least in this life? (Isn't that what this life is for??????)
The ideal guy or girl grows up, chooses the right, has kids who all, or perhaps mostly remain faithful, and so on.
BUT WHAT ABOUT ALL THOSE WHO CAN'T DO THIS BECAUSE:
1. They are born physically lacking, ranging from quadriplegics to sterile people to LGBT's (At least lacking in 'LDS God's' eyes.)
2. They are born mentally lacking, ranging from social inadequacies (bad breath? :? seriously, its a thing.), to inability to earn a sustainable living on their own, to severe mental limitations.
The list could go on and on, but my point is, 'LDS God' designed this plan, and so many situations come down to, "Well God will fix that in the next life."
Couldn't one of the prophets step it up a little and give us more to go on than this? :(
Some of us are born with preexisting conditions…in my patriarchal blessing it says to always follow the law of tithing….I didn’t realize that I was predisposed to stop paying tithing once I reached my 50s…some of us are born with these types of conditions we never knew we had.
~2bizE