So, why did Jesus have to die?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Re: So, why did Jesus have to die?

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:03 pm

dogbite wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:47 pm
For me, I have to start with Paul....
It seems to me that Paul took something that he recognized as having a lot more potential than was being realized and commandeered/reinvented it with an eye to franchising.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:17 pm

He certainly is not preacing in harmony with the gospels nor what Christianity became.

But of course, he predates those ideas.

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:38 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:00 pm
Gatorbait wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:49 am
The idea of Jesus being sent from God the Father to be sacrificed has never really set well with me or made any sense. How this concept ever got woven into Mormonism is beyond me.
I think it hitched a ride on the Protestantism that Mormonism grew out of.

St. Augustine kind of solidified the narrative in the 4th century that because Adam ate the fruit all men live in a fallen state until we do special magic that allows Jesus to redeemed us with his blood. That became central to Protestantism and took precedent over papal authority, and was part of the package that Mormonism accepted as fundamental.

Then, like everything else, Joseph and friends took it up a notch with the idea multiple probationary states, that is only spoken of in whispers. Now, if you sufficiently prove yourself worthy, you get to be an Adam in another universe, then a Jesus, and then you get to be an Elohim in the universe that you build and send your own kid to die. One eternal freakin' round.
Spot on Haggoth. Best explanation I've heard. Many thanks. Especially loved the last paragraph.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:36 pm

I also believe this is a manufactured event. Over time, people started making stuff up…Christ’s death was upgraded to also a resurrection…then time goes on and the atonement was added….this process continued as Joseph Smith invented some special Mormon theology using the rock and a hat trick…RMN and his fantastic spiraling airplane of death….it seems to be a trait of humans.
~2bizE