After 10+ years inactive, I decided to return for good

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Re: After 10+ years inactive, I decided to return for good

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:03 am

Emower wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:18 am
... no one person is involved in Mormonism for the same reason.
I liked it for the science fiction: Jaredite barges, Planet Kolob, Moon Quakers, alien beings delivering magic goggles, celestial transhumanism, alternative Egyptian history. invisible demons... I really did.
Emower wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:18 am
I know this board feels like we dont beleive it, but the church does make some people better.
As painful and messed up as it often was, I would not give up my Mormon experience if I had the option. A friend of mine said, "a church is a great thing to grow out of." The LDS mission experience, for instance, is a priceless high-octane life experience generator. The caveat, of course, is that all of it must be viewed safely in the rearview mirror, to fully appreciate the real lessons learned. And I really cherish my friends who still loved me even after I swan-dived off the Good Ship Zion.

My son, who resigned the minute he turned 18, still appreciates the discipline he learned from speaking in front of large audiences and having to deal with sitting quietly through long. boring meetings.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

HappierNow

Post by HappierNow » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:31 pm

alas wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:58 am
Probably, if I was male instead of female I would have stayed active. First of all, I wouldn’t have been a sexual abuse survivor if I had been a boy in my family, and also a lot of the emotional abuse I got from family of origin was because girls were worth less. But staying active, I really got tired of fighting to be a second class nobody, while fighting all the “not good enough” messages that Mormonism passes out, while fighting to get over an abusive childhood that taught me some of the same crap Mormonism piled on.
I feel the same alas. My life is so much better now that I don’t get a weekly dose of sexism and ideology that limited my ability to set appropriate boundaries. I feel a huge relief to believe that when I die, that is the end of my existence and I don’t have to worry about the hell that being a woman in the Celestal Kingdom would be—forever pregnant and married to a man who can take additional wives.

BlackMormon mentioned his life is happier and better when he participates in the Church, and so going back seems like a good move for him.

A Psychology of Religion class I took said church attenders live longer than others, and they theorize that happens via three mechanisms:
  • Health codes taught by the religion to avoid harmful substances and engage in healthy behaviors,
  • A strong social network being in a religious community can provide,
  • Ideas that help us cope with life’s challenges, regardless of whether or not they are true. Positive illusions are helpful if they lower our blood pressure and stress levels.
Participating in a Unitarian Universalist community and no longer believing LDS ideas that tormented me for decades is what works for me now.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:43 pm

HappierNow wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:31 pm

A Psychology of Religion class I took said church attenders live longer than others, and they theorize that happens via three mechanisms:
  • Health codes taught by the religion to avoid harmful substances and engage in healthy behaviors,
  • Ideas that help us cope with life’s challenges, regardless of whether or not they are true. Positive illusions are helpful if they lower our blood pressure and stress levels.
•knowing the Danites have your back.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:25 pm

I tried to convert my wife to post Mormonism a little, but now I try to explain how I see things differently, while validating her views and acknowledging I could be wrong, which seems to work better.
My wife loves teaching primary and working in the temple. I see that it makes her happy which makes me happy-- happy wife happy life.
We both value family strongly, and that is a shared life view. Other shared joys are nature, the arts, friends, etc.
Everyone is different, and Mormonism was helpful to me in many ways.
LDS family and neighbors have been generally kind and I appreciate it.
Just my two bits worth. :D
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:53 am

…. But I’m happier being out.
And then there’s reality.😉
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:30 am

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:43 pm
HappierNow wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:31 pm

•knowing the Danites have your back.
Imagine if all Danites were orthopedic surgeons, physical therapists or yoga teachers. Think about that, Hagoth. Just think about it.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:59 pm

Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:30 am
Imagine if all Danites were orthopedic surgeons, physical therapists or yoga teachers. Think about that, Hagoth. Just think about it.
Throw in a pediatrist or two and I'd know they have my feet too!

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:35 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:59 pm
Throw in a pediatrist or two and I'd know they have my feet too!
Throw in a proctologist and you know your butt's covered. CYA as the office memo says.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha