Returning Missionary Procedures

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Mayan_Elephant

Re: Returning Missionary Procedures

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:29 pm

blazerb wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:52 pm

I got home in 1990.
So how many of your zone conferences included something about ETB saying, "read..... thebookumARmun"?

Really. Listen to this. You will not regret it if you can laugh at something called thebookumARmun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN1Ez7MjvBU
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:32 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:24 pm
About on par with these guys when it comes to genuine power and authority:
At least they are not demanding our obedience and money, even if they are promising Zoomius Leviososa.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:42 am

Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:29 pm
blazerb wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:52 pm

I got home in 1990.
So how many of your zone conferences included something about ETB saying, "read..... thebookumARmun"?

Really. Listen to this. You will not regret it if you can laugh at something called thebookumARmun.
We told each other about some promise from ETB that someone would be baptized within 4 or 5 years for each BoM we gave out. I don't know if that is something he actually said. We would give away so many. I'm sure there were more BoM's than bibles in our mission. Of course, it leads to nothing. Most people baptized quickly went inactive. Most of the active members eventually went inactive. It was a mess.

ETA: The bookumarmun is the keystone of our religion. Since it is nonsense, . . . :)

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:41 pm

Mayan_Elephant wrote:
That talk would be greatly improved by the addition of a laugh track. He really had me on pins and needles for a while but I was relieved that he made it all the way through without once using the word "negro."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:03 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:41 pm
Mayan_Elephant wrote:
That talk would be greatly improved by the addition of a laugh track. He really had me on pins and needles for a while but I was relieved that he made it all the way through without once using the word "negro."
Worse when preceded by the word "the".
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:56 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:41 pm
Mayan_Elephant wrote:
...or communist. I remember when he talked like the communists in the US government were going to turn us over to the USSR any day. It was imminent. :shock:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:26 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:56 pm
...or communist. I remember when he talked like the communists in the US government were going to turn us over to the USSR any day. It was imminent. :shock:
And civil rights was just the communists using unwitting people of color (because they weren't smart enough to notice) as cannon fodder for their diabolical betrayals.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Advocate

Post by Advocate » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:01 am

If there is one truth that holds up in the church, it's that leadership roulette has been alive and well at all levels for a long time.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:45 am

I only made it about 12 seconds into the ETB video. I got what I needed out of it before the lights in the background dimmed.

I know there are other videos of general conference during that era that do a better job of showing it but that video was another reminder that there was more individuality back in the day. More color and variety (in dress at least). The bored and squirmy kid in the background is wearing a yellow dress shirt.

That kind of individuality and expression would have been beaten out of a similar kid attending even sacrament meeting in the year 2023. Everyone has to be the white shirt, dark suitcoat robot. All to better follow the prophet I guess, right down to what he wears and how he crushes his water bottle.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin