Further problems with the KJV in the BoM

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Further problems with the KJV in the BoM

Post by Hagoth » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:16 am

The Data Over Dogma podcast has become a favorite of mine since I heard Dan McClellan speak at Sunstone.

I was surprised to learn in an episode called Will the Best Bible Please Stand Up that the King James Version is not what I thought it was. Because it was assembled by people that are referred to as "translators," I assumed it was a translation from Hebrew and Greek. It is not. It is a version that was copied from earlier English translations, with intentional modifications made by the redactors (e.g. King James required certain language about kings to be changed to make despots sound more benevolent). Many people at the time objected to some of those changes and the KJV was generally ill-received because the language was already old fashioned and clumsy compared to the common vernacular.

All of these things make it even more bizarre that anything from that version would show up in an ancient American book. And don't even get me started on New Testament language and Pauline pseudepigrapha amongst the ancient Mayans and/or Iroquois.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

blazerb

Re: Further problems with the KJV in the BoM

Post by blazerb » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:44 pm

Don't forget the necessity of using KJV language whenever we talk to God in prayer. The Data Over Dogma podcast is great. I was really interested to find out that KJV language was archaic before it was even published. It has never been a very good "translation."

Hagoth

Re: Further problems with the KJV in the BoM

Post by Hagoth » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:12 pm

blazerb wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:44 pm
Don't forget the necessity of using KJV language whenever we talk to God in prayer
Will God ignore supplications to find lost keys if made using vocabulary that is more recent that 17th century? Or is that just a flat-out requirement?

Here's what I'm also wondering. If you use your Priesthood Power™ to drive out Satan, is he cool with the vernacular or do you also have to go all KJV on him to get his cooperation?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."