A cage match I'd like to see

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

A cage match I'd like to see

Post by Hagoth » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:20 pm

Take all of the writers of the various books of the Old and New Testaments and put them in a room together to discuss the nature and history of God. Put the leaders of modern Bible-based churches in there too. Give them baseball bats. See how many are left after 24 hours.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Mayan_Elephant

Re: A cage match I'd like to see

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:18 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:20 pm
Take all of the writers of the various books of the Old and New Testaments and put them in a room together to discuss the nature and history of God. Put the leaders of modern Bible-based churches in there too. Give them baseball bats. See how many are left after 24 hours.
Too bad Samson didn't write anything. I bet he could have whooped The Undertaker.
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:14 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:20 pm
I wanna see something similar: All the different versions of Jesus that all of the different sects have made up in a playground brawl. (With baseball bats? I dunno. Maybe too far. How 'bout whiffle ball bats? :P )

Why? Because the bickering between different sects just sounds like a playground argument: "My Jesus can beat up your Jesus!!!"
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:55 am

A wrestling match between Elder David Bednar and Gollum. They are both old but still wiry.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mayan_Elephant

Post by Mayan_Elephant » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:00 am

Robert L. Peters vs. Judas
“Not ripe in spring, no standing by summer, Laches by fall, and moot by winter.”

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:11 am

The most interesting part of this event would probably finding out who actually wrote each of the books as they entered the arena.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:10 pm

Mayan_Elephant wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:00 am
Robert L. Peters vs. Judas
vs. John Barron vs. John Miller vs. David Dennison
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:08 am

Joel Osteen vs. Peter. Heck, I'd like to see Peter vs. Paul vs. James the brother of Jesus vs. John (any of the John's will do).