Bednar dedication of the Smith home

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
RubinHighlander

Bednar dedication of the Smith home

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:18 pm

https://www.ksl.com/article/50719517/el ... tland-ohio
In this home, Emma and Joseph worked unitedly to take care of each other, their children and members of their extended family. This home was a place where they obeyed the commands that the Lord recently had given to parents: to teach their children the gospel and bring them up in light and truth.
- David B.
I could sense how excited Joseph and Emma must have been to be together there with their young children in a house that would hold memories both amazingly joyful and deeply sorrowful
- Susan B.

So much bliss and happiness, so many beautiful revelations from the Lord. Such a great father and husband was he...
sans D&C 121 and 132

History is written by the victors I guess.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Red Ryder

Re: Bednar dedication of the Smith home

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:45 pm

A bit more of the truth added:
In this home, Emma and Joseph worked unitedly to take care of each other, their children and members of their extended family. This home was a place where they obeyed the commands that the Lord recently had given to Joseph: to bed and sire other women in the name of the new and everlasting covenant of marriage, to teach the doctrine of polygamy and bring them up in light and truth.
David B.
I could sense how excited Joseph was and how disappointed Emma must have been to be together there with her Sister Wives in a house that would hold memories both amazingly joyful and deeply sorrowful.
Susan B.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:15 pm

Have they marked the location of the barn where the "dirty, nasty, filthy affair" with Fanny Alger was witnessed by Emma? Do they know the location where Joseph decided to start an illegal bank? Do they note how Joseph snuck out of town at night to avoid prosecution? Oh, the faith-promoting stories that could be told.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:34 pm

This home was a place where they obeyed the commands that the Lord recently had given to parents: to teach their children the gospel and bring them up in light and truth.
Jesus didn't tell parents to do that until he told Joseph Smith.

Was it also the house where the Lord revealed sliced bread?
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:28 pm

Difficult not to be cynical about this sort of thing, so it's best not to try...your comments put a smile on my face for sure.

Too bad that keeping the commandments didn't transform into Joseph and Emma's fam staying faithful TBMs that crossed the plains and did all sorts of swell things to build up "Zion".

Emma was a peach, but she lied about polygamy and polyandry regarding Joseph, married outside the flock, told Brigham what she thought of him and stayed in Nauvoo to take care of Lucy Smith.

Yet, still and all, good ol' Bednar re-dedicates the house- brings back the blessings of peace, love, and teaching and keeping the commandments, especially the seventh of the ten commandments regarding adultery.

Never had much use for Bednar. Older he gets the less I like him.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Conman52

Post by Conman52 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:14 pm

:arrow:
Yeah hopefully they marked the place where Joseph was banging Fanny Alger , what memories.
By their fruits ye shall know them

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:10 pm

How many marriages did Joseph consummate in that house without Emma knowing?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha