Re-thinking re-dedicating floor for church lawyers

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Gatorbait

Re-thinking re-dedicating floor for church lawyers

Post by Gatorbait » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:54 pm

Quite a few years ago, a construction firm that I was working for at the time was involved in remodeling the church lawyers digs, which at the time was Kirton McConkie Poelman, and this was before ol' Poelman, who was a stake pres at the time, got caught with his pants down with a male prostitute and got drummed out of the firm and the church, at least for a while, then he was let back in, at least that's what I heard.. It was two floors in a church owned office building in Salt Lake.

Anyways, we finished the project and were invited, those of us who were officers in the construction company, to attend the re-dedication of the KMP newly remodels floors. We thought that would be great. We already did quite a few projects for the church including a few temples. Good time to mingle with the church folk.

So we get there and they have this place for us to sit, in the back of course, so the apostles, and GAs together with the women from RS and YW and whoever else was available could sit up front. But I sat up front anyway. Thought what could they do? Make a scene? They had some speaker, Oaks, spoke and was really good I thought, and Pres. Hinkley was a riot, telling lawyer jokes, and can't remember who "dedicated" the lawyer's floors, but it was an apostle, lots were there- but not the entire building, had to get that straight from the beginning in case the Lord got mixed up and they blessed the whole building. Had to get that straight. Guess the rest of the building got its blessing sometime beforehand.

So they finish the dedication, we stand up and mingle a tad, and they pull back this big curtain to a large room, an expansion of the conference room we were in, and there's all kinds of lovely food, expensive stuff that I've never seen at something like this, seafood, really nice beautiful food, heaps of it, and I'm thinking we hit the jackpot. Wrong. They kicked my ass out together with the rest of us with our company. They weren't going to cast these pearls of lovely eats to swine like us. We were dismissed. Hit the road Jack, and don't come back. "There's the door. Get ye out. Now".

Got to tell ya, that sort of struck me as odd. Had gobs of food, and there were just a few of us. What would it of hurt to have us stay there and chow down with the holy ones? What about "the least of these" being the same as the the mucky-mucks? Not that day.

Always thought the whole durn thing was crazy to begin with. Lawyers office? Apostles doing the re-dedication. Weird stuff.

Anyone had an experience like this? Interesting to hear your thoughts.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

blazerb

Re: Re-thinking re-dedicating florr for church lawyers

Post by blazerb » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:56 pm

I think it was Ryan McKnight or someone else associated with Mormon Leaks who pointed out that the most important person in an organization is not necessarily the president or CEO. It's the person who is paid the most. That is the person with the skills that the organization cannot do without. I am pretty sure that someone at KM is the highest paid. It's the lawyers that run the church. They don't get the notoriety of presiding at conference or anything, but they get the money and the knowledge that they are telling the leaders what to do. The Q15 have to make sure that the lawyers know how important they are. I'm sorry the construction minions were not better treated.

moksha

Re: Re-thinking re-dedicating florr for church lawyers

Post by moksha » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:51 am

Kirton McConkie Mormon Law Building dedicated in 2012 by Dallin H. Oaks

It is thought that the Law Brethren perform the ceremony of Nude Clogging in the basement of the Oubliette.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Re: Re-thinking re-dedicating floor for church lawyers

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:42 am

That’s pretty funny. I bet it’s because you say upfront.

You know what they say: Obedience is the first law of heaven.

No food for you!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Random

Re: Re-thinking re-dedicating floor for church lawyers

Post by Random » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:05 pm

Gatorbait wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:54 pm
Quite a few years ago, a construction firm that I was working for at the time was involved in remodeling the church lawyers digs, which at the time was Kirton McConkie Poelman, and this was before ol' Poelman, who was a stake pres at the time, got caught with his pants down with a male prostitute and got drummed out of the firm and the church, at least for a while, then he was let back in, at least that's what I heard.. It was two floors in a church owned office building in Salt Lake.

Anyways, we finished the project and were invited, those of us who were officers in the construction company, to attend the re-dedication of the KMP newly remodels floors. We thought that would be great. We already did quite a few projects for the church including a few temples. Good time to mingle with the church folk.

So we get there and they have this place for us to sit, in the back of course, so the apostles, and GAs together with the women from RS and YW and whoever else was available could sit up front. But I sat up front anyway. Thought what could they do? Make a scene? They had some speaker, Oaks, spoke and was really good I thought, and Pres. Hinkley was a riot, telling lawyer jokes, and can't remember who "dedicated" the lawyer's floors, but it was an apostle, lots were there- but not the entire building, had to get that straight from the beginning in case the Lord got mixed up and they blessed the whole building. Had to get that straight. Guess the rest of the building got its blessing sometime beforehand.

So they finish the dedication, we stand up and mingle a tad, and they pull back this big curtain to a large room, an expansion of the conference room we were in, and there's all kinds of lovely food, expensive stuff that I've never seen at something like this, seafood, really nice beautiful food, heaps of it, and I'm thinking we hit the jackpot. Wrong. They kicked my ass out together with the rest of us with our company. They weren't going to cast these pearls of lovely eats to swine like us. We were dismissed. Hit the road Jack, and don't come back. "There's the door. Get ye out. Now".

Got to tell ya, that sort of struck me as odd. Had gobs of food, and there were just a few of us. What would it of hurt to have us stay there and chow down with the holy ones? What about "the least of these" being the same as the the mucky-mucks? Not that day.

Always thought the whole durn thing was crazy to begin with. Lawyers office? Apostles doing the re-dedication. Weird stuff.

Anyone had an experience like this? Interesting to hear your thoughts.
Wow! That says it all.

Only the elite are allowed to feast. :roll:
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK