Church artists, apologist and anthropological expert

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
RubinHighlander

Church artists, apologist and anthropological expert

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:02 am

This video showed up in my YT feed this morning, likely because I watched the RFM/Bill Reel video yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itlH3cyBzT4

David Lindsley is responsible for some of the popular JS and BOM paintings. Basically the super-white Euro Jebus style. Now he's pushing the NE American model, with it's accompanying weak body of nonevidence; HaplogroupX DNA, mound building, Joseph F. quotes, etc. Of course this is an objective presentation and would never be self serving to this artist's income and fame that he enjoys in the billionaire boys club.

Anyway, I didn't watch much of it, just skipped around to the end and eye rolled at all the usual apologetic information he presented. Keep digging there professor, maybe you'll find another gastrolith and start your own cult.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Re: Church artists, apologist and anthropological expert

Post by Hagoth » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:52 pm

I hate to be the one to break the bad news to Brother Lindsley, but the Michigan Relics that he uses for his evidence are well known fakes.

His other evidence consists of made up comments from pretend prophets about a made up book, claims of DNA "evidence" that actually refutes the BoM when you don't leave out necessary facts, and the fact that Joseph Smith described Native American defensive features that were already well know at the time.

Big Fat Zero.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:04 am

Shulem at the Discuss Mormonism forum makes a compelling case that Joseph used the Delmarva Peninsula as the model for the geography of the Book of Mormon, with Lehi's voyage of discovery landing at the southern tip of this peninsula (the particular beach is called Smith's Beach IRL).
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:54 am

Could not agree with much of what the video had to say and stopped watching once the BS came up over my hip waders. The artist has talent though,
as a painter, I'll give him that.

This is an all too typical example of establishing a theme with a conclusion in mind, then working to try and justify it, even if it means lying or just being too damn lazy to establish your arguments as being factual rather then pure conjecture.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell