What's the story with Tim Ballard?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
AllieOop

Re: What's the story with Tim Ballard?

Post by AllieOop » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:34 am

Jeffret wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:18 am
Moutsos and Rex are both adamant that a lot more bad stuff is yet to come out. And will.
I think this goes much deeper than we now know. It'll be interesting to see if Ballard flips on the church leaders and exposes how much they really were involved.

I always knew there was somthing fishy going on with Ballard getting involved with orphanages in Haiti. Seems he may have been getting children from them and then charging huge fees to Mormon families in America to adopt them. There are some who say he also talked poor parents there into give up their kids for a better life in America...the made A LOT of money off of their adoptions. He promised the parents they'd then be a part of a "forever family".

This goes into some of that and is very interesting to read (use the arrow prompt to read through the short presentation):

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... ndy_guide/

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:34 pm

AllieOop wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:34 am
I think this goes much deeper than we now know. It'll be interesting to see if Ballard flips on the church leaders and exposes how much they really were involved.
I don't know. My suspicion is that Church leaders, and Elder Ballard, really weren't all that involved. Ballard liked to drop names about all the big, important people supporting him, but it's doubtful it's all true. (Jimmy Rex does a similar thing at the beginning of that video.) I suspect that Tim Ballard has just been playing off supposed support from Elder Ballard, and their shared family name, but I haven't heard anything yet saying that Elder Ballard was really all that familiar with what was going on. That would fit the personalities and behaviors of both.

I suspect the Church got suckered in (just like everyone else). They're actually pretty good at that. They liked the narrative they were spun and it felt like a really important endeavor, so they felt the Spirit (went with their feelings and emotional response) and supported what they were being fed. I suspect it's more of a matter of not having any discernment than actively misbehaving. I doubt they knew what Tim Ballard was really up to. They tend to take things that they're fed when it supports their biases.

Reminds me a bit of the Satanic Panic and the Pace Memorandum. (Basically, it's just a continuation of the Satanic Panic anyway, which continues to be a big concern in certain corners.)
AllieOop wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:34 am
I always knew there was somthing fishy going on with Ballard getting involved with orphanages in Haiti. Seems he may have been getting children from them and then charging huge fees to Mormon families in America to adopt them. There are some who say he also talked poor parents there into give up their kids for a better life in America...the made A LOT of money off of their adoptions. He promised the parents they'd then be a part of a "forever family".

This goes into some of that and is very interesting to read (use the arrow prompt to read through the short presentation):

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... ndy_guide/
I had heard some of this, but hadn't dug into the details. A nice little overview. Totally plausible with what else we know.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:36 pm

Reminds me of the last adoption fraud scheme by a prominent Mormon…. Paul Peterson.

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/6/19/ ... lds-mormon
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg