Recent Asian DNA influence in Americas

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Palerider

Recent Asian DNA influence in Americas

Post by Palerider » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:19 am

A new study finds DNA evidence that Asians were influencing Native American DNA as recent as 1500 years ago and vice versa. Apparently "Native American" DNA has been recovered in Asia recently. I think these guys were better seafarers than previously thought.

I'm thinking ancient Israelites were always "land-lubbers"...... ;)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripid ... 18#image=1
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

RubinHighlander

Re: Recent Asian DNA influence in Americas

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:09 pm

Maybe we'll see a new apologetic theory form up around this, Lehi actually traveled through Asia then crossed the Bering Strait. A much shorter sea journey than one of the major oceans. But then Lehi would have crossed all of Canada to get to NY, likely running into a few Snidley Whiplashes and Duddly Doorights along the way. Might have made for a much more entertaining but longer winded 1st Nephi. But reformed Egyptian had limited space on the golden plates. Need to make sure all 1,404 "came to pass" phrases got included.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:12 am

Given how the dates are way off, I would not place too much stock in this article.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:54 am

This shouldn't be too much of a surprise, considering that founding groups of Inuit settled Alaska by boat long after the land bridge vanished. It doesn't seem unlikely that the same technology could be used to go the other direction. Now there's evidence that people were walking around in New Mexico thousands of years before the ice corridor opened up, so boat travel appears to have been a thing for a long, long time. If there were Jaredites they would have had much better options than the tumbling submarine dishes.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:00 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:09 pm
Maybe we'll see a new apologetic theory form up around this, Lehi actually traveled through Asia then crossed the Bering Strait. A much shorter sea journey than one of the major oceans. But then Lehi would have crossed all of Canada to get to NY, likely running into a few Snidley Whiplashes and Duddly Doorights along the way. Might have made for a much more entertaining but longer winded 1st Nephi. But reformed Egyptian had limited space on the golden plates. Need to make sure all 1,404 "came to pass" phrases got included.
Don’t forget his vacation trip to Mexico and Latin America.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg