Has Tim Ballard Been Excommunicated?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
AllieOop

Has Tim Ballard Been Excommunicated?

Post by AllieOop » Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:09 pm

I'm watching a John Dehlin live podcast right now on Youtube.

During the podcast, he said he just got word from a "a very, very trusted" source (he said we'd recognize the name) that Tim Ballard has been excommunicated.
That a church court was held last Monday night and the letter of excommunication was delivered last night to Tim around 9:45 p.m..
He also said his source told him that the church should be making an announcement about it "soon".

John was careful to say right now it is "allegedly" excommunicted. So we'll just have to wait and see.

Here's a link to where he states this in the video (listen from the 1 hour 58 minute mark on):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGQXdJe37oU

Posted on Dehlin's twitter: https://twitter.com/johndehlin/status/1 ... K-eoUKxnNw

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Red Ryder

Re: Has Tim Ballard Been Excommunicated?

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:37 pm

My sources say yes! Although you have to question the Monday night court of love since everyone knows that’s FHE night and Mormon meetings are prohibited. :lol:

My source:

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:00 pm

Well that was quick. I wonder if the church sent him a text message like they did to Kate Kelly.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:04 pm

I just saw John posted it on Twitter as well... hmm.

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:50 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:37 pm
My sources say yes! Although you have to question the Monday night court of love since everyone knows that’s FHE night and Mormon meetings are prohibited. :lol:

My source:

LOL, RR....hilarious!
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:53 am

jfro18 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:04 pm
I just saw John posted it on Twitter as well... hmm.
Yes, others are now reporting they've heard it from reliable sources too. (One heard it from someone who was there at the court.)

I know these courts are supposed to be confidential, but with someone who is high profile, it's getting out.
They also have to let the stake and ward leaders know, so there is no way people are not going to find out he was ex'd.

I'll be interested to see if WHY he was ex'd will be revealed.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:17 am

AllieOop wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:53 am
I know these courts are supposed to be confidential, but with someone who is high profile, it's getting out.
They also have to let the stake and ward leaders know, so there is no way people are not going to find out he was ex'd.

I'll be interested to see if WHY he was ex'd will be revealed.
And if the church is really going to ex Tim Ballard, they'll want the church members to know because Tim Ballard clearly has a loyal and devoted following among the members.

So if you're going to do it, you want to make sure that members know he is no longer a trustworthy character.

But so far I haven't seen anything beyond 'sources' and that doesn't always turn out to be true.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:14 pm

What about those Midnight Mormon guys?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:20 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:17 am
But so far I haven't seen anything beyond 'sources' and that doesn't always turn out to be true.
Maybe the truth is that they held a Court o' Love but didn't actually excommunicate him because he hasn't adequately denounced The Brethren. He merely lied, stole, committed fraud, disrespected women and children, and other crimes that, if spun correctly, actually help you move up in the ranks of High Sheriffness.

If he did get exed it likely had more to do with the fact that he built a following of members who seem to put more stock in the pronouncements of Tim than those of Russ.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:48 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:20 pm
jfro18 wrote:
Maybe the truth is that they held a Court o' Love but didn't actually excommunicate him because he hasn't adequately denounced The Brethren. He merely lied, stole, committed fraud, disrespected women and children, and other crimes that, if spun correctly, actually help you move up in the ranks of High Sheriffness.

If he did get exed it likely had more to do with the fact that he built a following of members who seem to put more stock in the pronouncements of Tim than those of Russ.
There is a very big part of me that wants Tim Ballard to be called as a 70 just so we can get some off-the-fnckin-rails conference talks! :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

BlackMormon

Post by BlackMormon » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:32 am

I don't quite understand this TB guy, one video I watched, he seemed to have some pretty good credentials working for high profile gov agencies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKdCHgbzWts

Then after this video, there is another one where he utterly denies ever using RMB name for personal gain or influence (what he's being accused of).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDk28z66AbU

If he is lying, and the photo with the tattoos and underwear is legitimate, then the facts are against him. He does look and sound questionable to me, at first impression. His O.U.R. was in some deep territories. I would think that both the Church and RMB would want to distance themselves from TB if the facts are against him.

If TB was out fighting against the Cabal, he would be dragged through the mud, discredited, and ostracized. Nobody messes with the Cabal. They are vicious and control the entire world of evil. (Tin foil hat, please.) The more research you do on the Cabal, the more things become clear. They are like Satan incarnate. They destroy everything that is good and corrupt everything. Anyone, rich or poor, millionaire or billionaire, who messes with their enterprises usually doesn't end up well.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:07 pm

moksha wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:14 pm
What about those Midnight Mormon guys?
Kwaku: "The Church effed up."
jfro18 wrote:
And if the church is really going to ex Tim Ballard, they'll want the church members to know because Tim Ballard clearly has a loyal and devoted following among the members.

So if you're going to do it, you want to make sure that members know he is no longer a trustworthy character.

Could they be afraid of a number of conservative members leaving, and decide to keep it all as secret as possible? They still have not even released a public statement to confirm what they told VICE. I think I'm going to agree with Kwaku, but maybe not mean it in the same way. The church effed up by promoting the organization of a member who was doing bad things. The church effed up in not taking action against him years ago. The church effed up in having a senior apostle solicit donations for TB's exploits. Right now, the church is effing up by not plainly saying that they effed up before. These are not leaders who have access to God any more than the rest of us. The church is effing up in not admitting that.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:48 pm

blazerb wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:07 pm
The church effed up in having a senior apostle solicit donations for TB's exploits. Right now, the church is effing up by not plainly saying that they effed up before. These are not leaders who have access to God any more than the rest of us. The church is effing up in not admitting that.
Reminds me of how the Church handled the involvement of a General Authority in the Sweetwater Condo Share Scam many years ago. Do any of the other older posters remember that?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:21 am

moksha wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:48 pm
Reminds me of how the Church handled the involvement of a General Authority in the Sweetwater Condo Share Scam many years ago. Do any of the other older posters remember that?
Yes! They are going to protect the church (at least as they see it) at all costs. What Dunn did was awful.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:52 pm

Sounds like the classic symptoms of Utah County Syndrome.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:18 am

Last night the local news reported that Ballard was excommunicated, but I still haven't seen an official statement. But then, do they generally make public statements about excommunications? Have there been any other newsworthy excommunications lately? Kate Kelly was probably the most recent. Did they officially announce when they tossed her out the door?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:10 am

Lynn Packer was interviewed on Youtube by Bill Reel and RFM last night. I'm watching it now and it's very interesting so far. Packer has done an amazing job investigating Tim Ballard and those involved with him. He's been reporting on this for years.

Here's the link for anyone interesting in watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzPt6CoyGh0

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:25 pm

AllieOop wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:10 am
Lynn Packer was interviewed on YouTube by Bill Reel and RFM last night. I'm watching it now and it's very interesting so far. Packer has done an amazing job investigating Tim Ballard and those involved with him. He's been reporting on this for years.

Here's the link for anyone interested in watching:

That was an incredibly interesting program. Lynn Packer did an excellent job detailing all the shady business ventures that Elder Ballard has been involved with throughout his life. The conclusion that the Church was not being honest about the extent of its involvement with Tim Ballard was well documented.
-- Moksha

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:18 pm

AllieOop wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:10 am
Lynn Packer was interviewed on Youtube by Bill Reel and RFM last night. I'm watching it now and it's very interesting so far. Packer has done an amazing job investigating Tim Ballard and those involved with him. He's been reporting on this for years.

Here's the link for anyone interesting in watching:

That's a very interesting and well-documented program.

I think I said previously that I didn't think that Elder Russell Ballard was involved in OUR and Tim Ballard's schemes, because everything Tim does is so sleazy that there's no reason to believe Tim wouldn't use every opportunity to lie about and distort that relationship.

After watching the presentation from Lynn Packer, I've revised my opinion.

Russell has a long history of being sleazy enough that he would be just as involved in those schemes as Tim. There are plenty of witnesses that put Russell in close, frequent contact with Tim and of being involved, including as the silent partner. I doubt Russell knew everything that Tim was doing, but it makes sense that he was aware of, or should have been aware of, some of the problems and was an enabler.

Clearly, there were also other Church leaders with at least some connection to Tim's schemes and the efforts to spread "the gospel". They had some awareness of it and some support, at least tacit. The Church supported Tim's work, up until it became a liability.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:30 pm

Jeffret wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:18 pm
That's a very interesting and well-documented program.

I think I said previously that I didn't think that Elder Russell Ballard was involved in OUR and Tim Ballard's schemes, because everything Tim does is so sleazy that there's no reason to believe Tim wouldn't use every opportunity to lie about and distort that relationship.

After watching the presentation from Lynn Packer, I've revised my opinion.

Russell has a long history of being sleazy enough that he would be just as involved in those schemes as Tim. There are plenty of witnesses that put Russell in close, frequent contact with Tim and of being involved, including as the silent partner. I doubt Russell knew everything that Tim was doing, but it makes sense that he was aware of, or should have been aware of, some of the problems and was an enabler.

Clearly, there were also other Church leaders with at least some connection to Tim's schemes and the efforts to spread "the gospel". They had some awareness of it and some support, at least tacit. The Church supported Tim's work, up until it became a liability.
That's a very good analysis....I agree.