JS Papers accouncement by Oaks

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
RubinHighlander

JS Papers accouncement by Oaks

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:04 pm

I couldn't sit through all of Oaks blah blah blah, so I skipped around. One of the stalwart pod casters will probably be ripping this one apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syEDGj84zFY

To me it looks like they have done their best to offer yet another correlated, redacted, scrubbed narrative on the topic. I skipped to one part where Turley Jr. said:
We will try to describe for the readers what Joseph was experiencing when he was going through his prophetic role so the reader can be along with him like a fly on the wall or a participant in his many interesting prophetic experiences.
My advice to TSCC would be to stop trying to whitewash and gaslight their history and distance themselves from it. But they just keep going there, to their own detriment.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Red Ryder

Re: JS Papers accouncement by Oaks

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:43 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:04 pm

We will try to describe for the readers what Joseph was experiencing when he was going through his prophetic role so the reader can be along with him like a fly on the wall or a participant in his many interesting prophetic experiences.
My advice to TSCC would be to stop trying to whitewash and gaslight their history and distance themselves from it. But they just keep going there, to their own detriment.
Are they going to describe for the readers what Joseph and Fanny were experiencing in the barn?

I hear Prophetic Barn Erotica is an upcoming genre.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:27 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:43 pm
Are they going to describe for the readers what Joseph and Fanny were experiencing in the barn?

I hear Prophetic Barn Erotica is an upcoming genre.
LOL! Red, I was thinking almost the exact same thing when I saw this!
Fly on the barn wall.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:30 am

So basically the Saints books but focused on making Joseph Smith look awesome while citing the JSP?

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:12 pm

Someone already wrote The Work and the Glory. Deliberately mixing fiction with history is not a good idea unless the end result is labeled as fiction.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:26 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:43 pm
Or how he determined the dosing of substances he added to his temple dedication wine? Or how many sheets of tin he had to put in Alvin's box to make it feel heavy enough to fool the eight witnesses?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:25 am

Holding back my judgement on this one until I read it. Listened to part of a Q&A with Richard Bushman and his wife, who I consider quite knowledgeable people on the subject of JS, and he mentioned that he was working on this project. I've read "Rough Stone Rolling" a few times and I think that Bushman probably held back some punches in that book, but he sure threw a few as well. He probably has forgotten more about JS than most Mormons will ever know, me included.

They are using as a reference Fawn Brodie and have Dan Vogal listed as a reference as well, which to me, seeing those names in print for church sanctioned literature says that at least the church is trying to at least seek out sources of merit. Sure they have Truman Madsen entries, who was entertaining for sure, filled in the blanks of his JS narrative with a few ideas of his own- at least I think so.

There is no mention of sellouts like Dan Peterson and the like so I hope they keep those dirt bags away from this, but who knows? If they try to sanitize this, we will know and we will be done with it.

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing what the come up with.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:45 am

Gatorbait wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:25 am
...Richard Bushman and his wife, who I consider quite knowledgeable people on the subject of JS, and he mentioned that he was working on this project. I've read "Rough Stone Rolling" a few times and I think that Bushman probably held back some punches in that book, but he sure threw a few as well. He probably has forgotten more about JS than most Mormons will ever know, me included.

They are using as a reference Fawn Brodie and have Dan Vogal listed as a reference as well...
This is encouraging. One thing Bushman hasn't written about, but which he addressed in a fireside at my ward, is that he believes Joseph was bipolar. I would love to read his thinking along those lines, but admitting that a prophet had a mental illness is pretty far off-message for the church. They couldn't even admit Ezra Benson had dementia when he was being operated like a puppet by his counselors doing a Weekend at Bernie's act with him.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:07 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:45 am
Gatorbait wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:25 am
...Richard Bushman and his wife, who I consider quite knowledgeable people on the subject of JS, and he mentioned that he was working on this project. I've read "Rough Stone Rolling" a few times and I think that Bushman probably held back some punches in that book, but he sure threw a few as well. He probably has forgotten more about JS than most Mormons will ever know, me included.

They are using as a reference Fawn Brodie and have Dan Vogal listed as a reference as well...
This is encouraging. One thing Bushman hasn't written about, but which he addressed in a fireside at my ward, is that he believes Joseph was bipolar. I would love to read his thinking along those lines, but admitting that a prophet had a mental illness is pretty far off-message for the church. They couldn't even admit Ezra Benson had dementia when he was being operated like a puppet by his counselors doing a Weekend at Bernie's act with him.
When I watched the press conference when Rusty got the top spot, I swear it looked like Oaks was puppeting Rusty. He'd look at him sometimes during those awkward silences, almost mouthing the words, then stepping in to take the reigns and finish the sentences and thoughts. I remember Tommy looked like he's seen the devil when it was his inauguration. It's probably the shock of taking over top CEO spot and learning about the billions you just inherited, might need a change of depends when Dobby comes in through the secret office door and dropped a big dusty book on the desk, numbers magically appear with visions of all the vast land and business holdings. Soary, really went off on a tangent there. IDKSAF
--Douglas Adams