Most significant spiritual failures.

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

Most significant spiritual failures.

Post by deacon blues » Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:31 pm

Mark Hofmann's father, Bill, being told by the Holy Ghost that Mark was innocent. :o
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Re: Most significant spiritual failures.

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:47 am

Mitt Romney's family on national TV saying they weren't worried about the vote tallies because the Holy Ghost had testified to them that Mitt would win.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:48 am

Probably the biggest failure was JS's revelations about building Zion in Missouri. We're still trying to tiptoe away from that one.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:33 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:47 am
Mitt Romney's family on national TV saying they weren't worried about the vote tallies because the Holy Ghost had testified to them that Mitt would win.
Wow. Is that still online somewhere?
I agree by the way, the Missouri/Zion message is as big a fail as it gets. :shock:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:24 pm

Is an "angel with a drawn sword" similar/comparable to the Holy the Ghost?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:04 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:24 pm
I always thought the angel with the drawn sword was Wholly Shit.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:26 am

wtfluff wrote:
Is an "angel with a drawn sword" similar/comparable to the Holy Ghost?
Modern Mormon angels carry an AK-15. The angels use them mainly for deer hunting and to guard the compound. The angels are not to use the AK-15s to compel humans until the Mormon prophet declares it is time to resume the practice of polygamy.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:03 am

Brigham Young: “There is not a man or woman, who violates the covenants made with their God, that will not be required to pay the debt. The blood of Christ will never wipe that out, your own blood must atone for it . . . ” (Journal of Discourses, vol. 3, p. 247; see also, vol. 4, p. 53-54, 219-220).

Google "Blood Atonement- Wikipedia" and you will get 20 plus pages describing conflicting statements by Church leaders, supposedly inspired by the Holy Ghost, agreeing with, rationalizing belief in, and denying blood atonement. :roll:

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:16 am

Being one of the top leaders in the wealthiest cult corporation on the planet, becoming friends with a popular mormon who had your same last name and was using his psychic girlfriend to talk to dead mormon prophets, while he was secretly abusing women and girls and using your name to make money.

We must come up with a different name than the prophet, seer and revelator gift "discernment".
Disincernment?
Anti-Lehi-Nephi-Pay-Lay-Ailment?
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:20 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:33 pm
I don't know. I saw it on the news on election night.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:30 am

Here's a seer caught in the act of a spiritual failure:
RMNHat.JPG
RMNHat.JPG (21.02 KiB) Viewed 6677 times
"God says 7 1/2. That must be the number temples I must announce today"

"Hey, what are these notes tucked under the brim? I Nephi..."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:01 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:30 am
"God says 7 1/2. That must be the number temples I must announce today"

"Hey, what are these notes tucked under the brim? I Nephi..."
LMAO!

Exactly!

Reminded me of an old Steve Martin routine where he's talking about Las Vegas shows:
"Wow, look at the t*ts! There must be 57 t*ts up there!"
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:47 am

wtfluff wrote:
Always wondered about this "drawn sword" business myself. Why a sword? Did it have to be drawn to get their attention? Why not just zap them like ol' Moroni did when JS tried nabbing the plates out of the stone box that no one has ever seen, where the golden plates were buried?

Or, a bazooka. Now that would get their attention. Why would an angel have a sword in any case? Walking around in heaven, the thing clanking away at their side. "Nice sword you have there- but mine is a flaming sword- go find one of these babies. Or sure, I don't have any eye brows, but isn't this flaming sword a beauty?" Now the other angel would have to search all over heaven to get a flaming sword. Not easy. Oh well, give them something to do. How do you sharpen the flaming sword though? Sure wouldn't be able to do it sitting in a tree all day, waiting for someone to come along and pick some fruit. So many questions.....
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:26 am

I'm trying to imagine a TBM explanation: "Maybe the flames on the sword are meant to give your bosom a burning sensation as the sword is plunged (literally or metaphorically?) into the subjects (literal or spiritual) bosom." :shock:
Of course Joseph could just be borrowing a bible image to impress a young girl with the seriousness of the whole thing, a la D&C 19:7: 7 "Again, it is written eternal damnation; wherefore it is more express than other scriptures, that it might work upon the hearts of the children of men, altogether for my name’s glory." :roll:
BTW, I recently read in JSP: Documents v. 14, page 50-something, in Nov. 1843 two English people were drowned while performing an LDS baptism, according to English Mission President Reuben Hadlock. :o
Does that mean that the devil got them because they hadn't received the gift of the H.G. yet?

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:12 pm

In Nelson's defense, he is showing that you can acknowledge the absurdity of the
Saints' history and still be faithful. Keep sending your tithing and obedience to
Church HQ. The tithing must flow so we can open a portal the the Celestial Kingdom.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:19 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:26 am
in Nov. 1843 two English people were drowned while performing an LDS baptism, according to English Mission President Reuben Hadlock. :o
Does that mean that the devil got them because they hadn't received the gift of the H.G. yet?
If these baptisms were performed in the Thames River, the fumes from the raw sewage could be responsible.
-- Moksha